Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2014 10:34 am  #1

What do you want to see this season?

Here's my list:
1. "Next step" improvement in the W-L record. So I've said, what, 18-19 wins (can't remember and too lazy to look it up). But I think if Ferry and company want people on board, at some point it has to stop being talk and next year and it has to start to look like a program on the court -- consistently. So, yeah, 18-19 wins is important this year.
2. Big improvement in the conference record. 7-9 at minumum, 8-8 wonderful. Anything better = ice cream. I know my math may not add up with the W/L record, but I've said many times: I ain't a numbers guy.
3. No bad losses. E.g., dropping a close game to NJIT at home. If we're favored, if we have a better record, or better RPI, or better team, it's a must-win.
4. Beat Bobby Mo. Prove that the talent pendulum has truly swung in our favor.
5. Make Pitt sweat. I don't think the pendulum has swung that far yet, but we need this year's City Game to be decided in the last minute.
6. Win another one that no one expects us to get. We proved we could do it last year; we should be able to repeat at least once. Twice would show progress.
7. PS, it wouldn't suck to make Pitt the victim of a #6.
8. Beat Penn State on the road. We don't have many quality opponents, and while I'm stretching the quality definition here, it still will mean more than beating St. Cecelia's School of Dance on the road.
9. Be the school NO ONE wants to face in the A-10 Tournament, and not because we're in a play-in game or something like that. And go into a first round game as a dog and send a higher ranked team home.
10. Have players and coaches that matter. Someone has to make first, second or third all conference. Have a statistical leader or two. Have Ferry in the mix for coach of the year.

This would constitute a successful season to me. I think our schedule is too soft to make postseason, unless we blow through it, make it to the A-10 semis, and eek out an NIT bid. But postseason would certainly make it a great season.

10/29/2014 11:51 am  #2

Re: What do you want to see this season?

We could probably get a CBI bid with 18 wins, as they don't really care about your schedule as much as your overall record.
Here is what I want to see.
9 wins in the OOC. They cannot drop all three games against solid teams.
Become a very tough out at home. If a team is not in the top 40, they go home a loser, and we need to get a win vs one of the top 40 teams as well.
Get some road wins in conference vs bottom half teams.
Blow the doors off of the weak teams they play OOC. I want to see walk-ons in the game midway through the second half.
Really hit their stride down the stretch. Not only would this bode well for any postseason aspirations, but with only one senior on the team, it would send a message that this will be a team to watch the following year.

10/29/2014 3:41 pm  #3

If the question is what would I like to see, I'll sign up with Mulder's list.  If the question is what do I expect, I would say I do not know given the low prediction by the A10 coaches and others.  The key to me is Robinson.  He was named by CBS Sports as an under the radar freshman, See article link below.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24773692/-15-college-basketball-preview-20-under-the-radar-freshmen

Duquesne forward Jordan Robinson: Several Atlantic 10 coaches believe the Dukes could make a jump in the standings and Robinson is a major reason why. The 6-8, 255-pound big man is an instant starter for Jim Ferry and gives them an immediate replacement for Ovie Soko. Pencil Robinson in for 12 points and eight boards a night".

Last edited by CLK (10/29/2014 3:46 pm)

10/29/2014 4:44 pm  #4

CLK wrote:

If the question is what would I like to see, I'll sign up with Mulder's list.  If the question is what do I expect, I would say I do not know given the low prediction by the A10 coaches and others.  The key to me is Robinson.  He was named by CBS Sports as an under the radar freshman, See article link below.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24773692/-15-college-basketball-preview-20-under-the-radar-freshmen

Duquesne forward Jordan Robinson: Several Atlantic 10 coaches believe the Dukes could make a jump in the standings and Robinson is a major reason why. The 6-8, 255-pound big man is an instant starter for Jim Ferry and gives them an immediate replacement for Ovie Soko. Pencil Robinson in for 12 points and eight boards a night".

If Robinson is a 12 and 8 man this year, then the future is very bright. We know McCoy is strong inside. If Robinson can produce at that level, our inside game will be a handful for most teams in the A10.

10/29/2014 4:51 pm  #5

Two things:
1.  With their weak schedule, I want 20 wins.
2.  With 20 wins, I want no less than 3,000 fans at any game.  Now on a side note, that is really sad that I am hoping for 3,000 fans.  That is probably what Pitt hopes for at their football games.  But 3,000 should be the bottom.

10/29/2014 5:06 pm  #6

Mulder, did you date ChaCha DiGregorio at St. C's?

10/29/2014 6:21 pm  #7

Before we all start predicting records, lets all remember that the A10 is changing this year from a 16 game schedule to an 18 game schedule. That means the Non Conference schedule will be 2 games less as well. Why the league is changing and ADDING two more games to beat each other up, is beyond me. The league's profile is at its peak after getting 6 teams in the NCAA tournament. To me adding 2 more conference games can only hurt the chances at recreating that type of presence.

Let's also not forget that a lot of these weak teams were also on the schedule last year (St. Francis, NJIT, Lowell, UTPA), when all conference selection Ovie Soko was still in uniform. I think the program will move on well with the loss of Ovie, but this is a very young (and bright) roster. McKoy is really the only forward in the program with significant A10 experience (Gill's was not consistent until the end of the season). So how does adding 2 more A10 games, losing a player who averaged 18 and 9 in the frontcourt and playing a comparable non conference schedule equate to an automatic 6-7 wins in an overall record? I hope everyone is right, but we should be looking at this realistically.

IMO there are probably under 20 total players entire Division 1 who averaged 12 and 8 a game, let alone as a freshman which is what Jordan Robinson will be. It is unfair to him to expect his eligibility to immediatly make up for Ovie's departure.

10/29/2014 6:40 pm  #8

Look at the schedule this year and compare it to last year.  There are many more weak teams we are playing.  Now, if we are weak, it won't matter but the schedule outside of the A10 is pathetic this season.

10/29/2014 7:16 pm  #9

FAM wrote:

Look at the schedule this year and compare it to last year.  There are many more weak teams we are playing.  Now, if we are weak, it won't matter but the schedule outside of the A10 is pathetic this season.

The schedule is basically the same as last year. The biggest difference is that last year, we played a bunch of the scrubs on the road. The reason they changed the league schedule is because we went from 13 to 14 teams.

10/29/2014 8:40 pm  #10

Then why wasn't the A10 schedule 18 games in 2012-2013 when the league had 15 teams (Xavier, Temple, Charlotte, Butler, VCU plus the mainstays)?

10/29/2014 11:36 pm  #11

Who knows, but 18 games seems to be what leagues are going to now. Considering that most of the teams in the better leagues fill the ooc with garbage, I don't have a problem with it.

Went and checked it. All P5 leagues, plus the BE, are now playing an 18 game schedule. 18 is the standard now.

10/30/2014 5:29 am  #12

The top 5 conferences play 18 game league schedules because of the multi millions of dollars each school earns from each game because of their TV deals. The A10's TV package is not as high profile as these leagues. So my question is, since the A10 was able to surpass leagues like the SEC with the amount of NCAA bids, why change and add two more games. Obviously this was one of the reasons why the league was able to reach this peak in the first place.

10/30/2014 6:18 am  #13

How does playing 2 more games vs crap teams help you get more bids? If the good conferences are playing less ooc games, that means there are fewer good ooc games available for us to play. No one wants to see us play Howard. Games like that don't help the league's overall rpi. If the league wins enough of the ooc games it does play, then playing more league games won't hurt. It might hurt the scrub teams a little, but since I hope we aspire to be one of the league's powers, playing a better schedule will benefit us.

10/30/2014 7:29 am  #14

Tell that to Richmond and Miami, who also play Howard. Pitt has also played them many years. The reality is Duquesne does not have the resources, facilities or brand recognition to be in the top of tbe A10. That is a fact as to why it has been 37 years since our last trip to the NCAAs (which was with a record barely over .500). We can blame the ADs, the coaches, and whoever else we want but the bottom line is its the university's commitment level. We were the premier College basketball power in this area in the 50s and 60s. But that was 60-70 years ago. Pitt made the committment and built the Peterson Events Center while we stood still.

In order to make a move to get to that point, you must first win games consistently. You just can't predict 18-20 win seasons with one upperclassmen front court player returning without scheduling the Howard's, especially with the additional 2 league games.

10/30/2014 7:34 am  #15

DukesFan79 wrote:

Tell that to Richmond and Miami, who also play Howard. Pitt has also played them many years. The reality is Duquesne does not have the resources, facilities or brand recognition to be in the top of tbe A10. That is a fact as to why it has been 37 years since our last trip to the NCAAs (which was with a record barely over .500). We can blame the ADs, the coaches, and whoever else we want but the bottom line is its the university's commitment level. We were the premier College basketball power in this area in the 50s and 60s. But that was 60-70 years ago. Pitt made the committment and built the Peterson Events Center while we stood still.

In order to make a move to get to that point, you must first win games consistently. You just can't predict 18-20 win seasons with one upperclassmen front court player returning without scheduling the Howard's, especially with the additional 2 league games.

I know Pitt plays Howard, and the fans can't stand it.
If Duquesne didn't think it could compete with the top of the A10, I would want them to drop basketball. I don't buy that we can't compete. We've struggled because we've made numerous mistakes. I think we're finally on the right road now. Maybe I'm a fool, but that's what I believe.

10/30/2014 8:08 am  #16

ElDuque wrote:

Mulder, did you date ChaCha DiGregorio at St. C's?

ChaCha wouldn't give me the time of day.  Of course, now, thinking back on those days...she never wore a watch...so maybe I did have a cha-cha-cha chance and didn't know it.

10/30/2014 8:09 am  #17

DukesFan79 wrote:

Before we all start predicting records, lets all remember that the A10 is changing this year from a 16 game schedule to an 18 game schedule. That means the Non Conference schedule will be 2 games less as well. Why the league is changing and ADDING two more games to beat each other up, is beyond me. The league's profile is at its peak after getting 6 teams in the NCAA tournament. To me adding 2 more conference games can only hurt the chances at recreating that type of presence.

Let's also not forget that a lot of these weak teams were also on the schedule last year (St. Francis, NJIT, Lowell, UTPA), when all conference selection Ovie Soko was still in uniform. I think the program will move on well with the loss of Ovie, but this is a very young (and bright) roster. McKoy is really the only forward in the program with significant A10 experience (Gill's was not consistent until the end of the season). So how does adding 2 more A10 games, losing a player who averaged 18 and 9 in the frontcourt and playing a comparable non conference schedule equate to an automatic 6-7 wins in an overall record? I hope everyone is right, but we should be looking at this realistically.

IMO there are probably under 20 total players entire Division 1 who averaged 12 and 8 a game, let alone as a freshman which is what Jordan Robinson will be. It is unfair to him to expect his eligibility to immediatly make up for Ovie's departure.

Can't speak for others but I'm not making predictions - just saying what I want to see.

10/30/2014 8:16 am  #18

DukesFan79 wrote:

Pitt made the committment and built the Peterson Events Center while we stood still.

Duq81:  If Duquesne didn't think it could compete with the top of the A10, I would want them to drop basketball. I don't buy that we can't compete. We've struggled because we've made numerous mistakes. I think we're finally on the right road now. Maybe I'm a fool, but that's what I believe.

Pitt made a commitment to build the Pete because they decided to move football to Heinz.  A stupid move on their part since they really truly aspire to be a football power and, at least in my opinion, need an on campus or very close to campus facility to get the student support they need to start down that road. 

That being said, we did stand still and really up until John Murray finally woke  up about basketball stood still until early this century.  I wouldn't say we are moving very fast now but at least we are finally moving.

Agree with Duq81 - I don't buy we can't compete - not when schools smaller than us and in smaller markets and smaller urban or rural centers can.  It's about the commitment made by the administration as you both have said and it's also up to us to push that administration to keep moving forward.

Last edited by Mulder (10/30/2014 8:24 am)

10/30/2014 12:01 pm  #19

DukesFan79 wrote:

Right. We're saying that the team needs to start winning consistently. We always hear that the program is being built "brick by brick" -- after three years, either the bricks fit or what the hell are we doing? I'm pretty sure the "level of commitment" that Ferry has is superior than any previous coach (and don't forget that Amodio did a nice job of stabbing Ferry's predecessor in the back), and I keep reading that we're far from the bottom in terms of budget.

What's missing is winning. A Ferry supporter called me the night we signed Robinson to tell me we just landed the best big man in the school's history. Mason is one of the best shooters in the country. Coulter and Jones are 3-year starters. McKoy is a very solid big man. You're telling me not to expect anything from this group, despite the cupcake OOC?

You get the biggest C'MON  MAN of the week. Time to strap on the big boy trousers and compete. Otherwise, why should anyone continue to care?

10/30/2014 12:26 pm  #20

That is the problem- Duquesne has never supported its coaches like other schools in the conference. So the comparison should not be made with same school predecessors, but with other schools and programs in the league that support their staffs in order to win consistently. That is a big difference. We all want Duquesne to be a consistent winner. The A10 is a big time league, doing it better then Duquesne has done in the past is still not good enough. Unfortunately, this is the same small time mentality the school has operated with for years.

Budgets do not tell the entire story in terms of reaources. As in any type of business they can always be finagled to appear differently.  Real committment and resources are University branding and exposure, as well as Basketball and campus wide facilities. These are just as important if not more important, especially in a program which has not made the NCAAs in almost 40 years.

10/30/2014 12:34 pm  #21

DukesFan79 wrote:

That is the problem- Duquesne has never supported its coaches like other schools in the conference. So the comparison should not be made with same school predecessors, but with other schools and programs in the league that support their staffs in order to win consistently. That is a big difference. We all want Duquesne to be a consistent winner. The A10 is a big time league, doing it better then Duquesne has done in the past is still not good enough. Unfortunately, this is the same small time mentality the school has operated with for years.

Budgets do not tell the entire story in terms of reaources. As in any type of business they can always be finagled to appear differently. Real committment and resources are University branding and exposure, as well as Basketball and campus wide facilities. These are just as important if not more important, especially in a program which has not made the NCAAs in almost 40 years.

You complain about a small time mentality, yet you're afraid of two more conference games? I want to see us act like a big time program. Sometimes it takes a leap of faith to believe in what the coach is doing, when so many others have failed. I guess we will know in about 17 months won't we?

10/30/2014 3:46 pm  #22

Yeah, there's a major disconnect in some of the messages. There are a lot of fans who were lost with the Everhart firing and the Amodio bungling of such -- folks who want "back on" but who don't want to commit because they keep hearing all kinds of "wait 'til next year" talk. The real progress will be measured in wins and losses, period. We're saying, now's the time.

PS, when the program does start winning, you'll see what has happened at other mid-majors: The support will come, both from the administration and the Duquesne community. Some programs with far fewer resources and far less money have done it.

Board footera