Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2014 8:34 am  #51

Re: City Game

One angry coach here....

12/06/2014 10:03 am  #52

12/06/2014 10:35 am  #53

Sorry, but enough talk. Ferry's all talk. His cheerleaders are all talk. The program has clearly taken a step backwards, even though we look at the talent/potential of the players and think he's bringing in some good material. If that's the case, then the coaches need to take a long look in the mirror and ask whether that system can actually work at "this level." Although as Ritter suggests, we're not really a "this level" team.

As much crap as Everhart took about the turnover, it might be worth taking a good, long look at what's going to happen at the end of the year and ask if Ron was really as "crazy" as people thought, or if he was the only one who actually cracked the damned code at Duquesne. He took a lot of shots, reloaded, and took more shots every year. And after year 1, he never had a losing season, and that was whil playing a much stiffer level of competition.

We're now "building brick by brick," yet the most prominent bricks in the first two recruiting classes are already gone, Ridenour might be gone by January. We're into year 3, and it already looks like it's going to be a long season.

This is not meant to kick off the old debate. That's officially over. I hope Ferry can figure it out, teach his team how to play defense, take better shots, hit FTs, work big men (assuming they have the talent) into the game, and win more than we lose.

Right now, I'm fully in favor of dropping Pitt from the schedule. We might as well play at Duke or Kentucky every year, we'll have as much chance of winning that too. If we lose to Bobby Mo again, I'd get out of that game too. We're solidly the #5 program in the heart of Pittsburgh (WVU and PSU get more attention and coverage than we do), and that's only because we don't give CMU the opportunity to embarrass us.

I hope for better times, but I'm going to be realistic. 

12/06/2014 10:39 am  #54

CLK wrote:

One angry coach here....

"It's disappointing." What, the players didn't know this was a big game?

Like, HO-LY <RHYMES WITH PITT>!

I turned this off after 1:30 or so, because plain and simple, I was embarrassed hearing it.

12/06/2014 11:00 am  #55

I don't blame him for accepting this job & taking the financial package. Fact is his teams have always been soft no D AAU summer league style. But I very much admire his brutal honesty. Next step for coach Ferry may unfortunately be an assistant for a Div I program .sound familiar 79 south WV. Keep blaming the coaches not me. The foundation base is inept lack sponsorship, fan base alumni support students etc. this is just the beginning . Again can't blame the kids Colter beating cancer...I respect Coach Ferrys honesty rather then hey we're young I need another 4 year extension. it' not you coach.Good Luck

12/06/2014 11:28 am  #56

ElDuque wrote:

CLK wrote:

One angry coach here....

"It's disappointing." What, the players didn't know this was a big game?

Like, HO-LY <RHYMES WITH PITT>!

I turned this off after 1:30 or so, because plain and simple, I was embarrassed hearing it.

I hear you El Duque.  I work for a very large, performance driven corporation.  If my team fails then I have failed.  I would be shown the door in a New York minute if I came out and said my team failed because they were not motivated, did not do what I told them, lacked focus, and were careless & sloppy.

Last edited by CLK (12/06/2014 11:32 am)

12/06/2014 11:30 am  #57

That video is a typical Ferry performance. The players didn't do this, the players didn't do that, no discussion of his own role in that mess. On Wednesday, I was a the women's game, & at one point I remarked to my friend aboout how well-coached they are.  I don't get why it can't be the same with the men's team.  I think we're paying Ferry $600,000 per year on a 7-year deal?  Can anybody possibly think that we're getting $600,000 worth of coaching from this guy?

12/06/2014 12:52 pm  #58

ElDuque wrote:

Right now, I'm fully in favor of dropping Pitt from the schedule. We might as well play at Duke or Kentucky every year, we'll have as much chance of winning that too. If we lose to Bobby Mo again, I'd get out of that game too. ),
I hope for better times, but I'm going to be realistic. 

I agree. This isn't a rivalry anymore! It's a joke. It's a guaranteed win for Pitt, who let's be honest is an ACC team, that even in a down year is going to be on the bubble for the Big Dance, or at worst a favorite in the NIT.   Bobby Mo, I think can be beaten regularly, recent evidence notwithstanding.  God it hurts to type that.

I've said it years ago, that my expectations for this team are that we will never win the NCAA, or even make it to an elite 8.  However we should be competitive in the A-10 and maybe pick up the 3rd or 4th bid, or maybe win the thing with a good conference tourney run, oh yeah and beat Pitt more than once every 15 years. 

That is our ceiling.  We will never get any higher than that, not with this administration and this level of alumni and fan support.  And rightnow, we are years away from that, and the program is going backwards not forwards, at this point.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/06/2014 12:54 pm  #59

I agree with everything ED, CLK and Officer Dribbke said about Ferry.  I'm tired of hearing the man speak.  Go to the DU site and listen to his pre game presser.

Except for the feigned outrage, not much difference.  Said they weren't tough enough or couldn't rebound in both pressers.

Unmm, you are the coach. Don't you take any responsibility for this?

12/06/2014 1:10 pm  #60

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

This is always a dumb statement. What makes you think we would win in a weaker conference? Remember, few of the current players would have come here to play in the NEC. We might have a crap NEC roster. Then what? In the NEC, you have to win the league to go anywhere. In the A 10, fourth, or fifth place would do. We could end up a crap team in the NEC like St. Francis.

We're a crap team in the A-10. Do you really believe this talent on the team is any better than a good NEC team? Doesn't games such as this one against Pitt show you that? Ferry is failing. These are his recruiting classes and they are not impressive.And this is comparatively a bad Pitt team.

Well, that proves my point. If they only have NEC talent while playing in the A 10, what kind of talent do you think they'd have playing in the NEC? They'd likely be St. Francis. I wouldn't even bother to follow them then.

They are the St. Francis of the A-10.

12/06/2014 1:15 pm  #61

For what it's worth, NJIT is at #17 Michigan, and is giving them all they want in the second half, leading 46-44.

Last edited by duq81 (12/06/2014 1:20 pm)

12/06/2014 2:02 pm  #62

Let's see.  NJIT beats Dukes on the road by 3.  NJIT beats Michigan on the road by 2.  Only logical conclusion for this board's posters to make is that NJIT plays too many cupcakes.

12/06/2014 2:04 pm  #63

grammudder wrote:

Let's see.  NJIT beats Dukes on the road by 3.  NJIT beats Michigan on the road by 2.  Only logical conclusion for this board's posters to make is that NJIT plays too many cupcakes.

No the logical conclusion is how good is Umass Lowell, and will we get blown out when we play them. 

12/06/2014 2:07 pm  #64

grammudder wrote:

Classic!  Post of the year! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/06/2014 2:08 pm  #65

Congrats to NJIT.  The fact that they beat Michigan is great for NJIT. 

However, how does this legitimize anything going on at DU?   All it means that the only D1 independent team that was winless about 4 years ago has also bypassed Duquesne. 

I wouldn't be proud of that.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/06/2014 3:31 pm)

12/06/2014 3:05 pm  #66

Maybe the conclusion is we should hire the NJIT coach. He outcoached our coach and apparently can build a respectable program without overwhelming financial resources. And, he should have some insight/connections with NY/NJ recruits. Of course, he might land a lot better job before the departure of our coach. You all know we're not going to eat too many years at $600,000 per.

12/06/2014 3:33 pm  #67

Westender wrote:

Maybe the conclusion is we should hire the NJIT coach. He outcoached our coach and apparently can build a respectable program without overwhelming financial resources. And, he should have some insight/connections with NY/NJ recruits. Of course, he might land a lot better job before the departure of our coach. You all know we're not going to eat too many years at $600,000 per.

All true my friend, but I am not willing to give up on coach Ferry or this team just yet.  As much as I dislike Amodio for the firing of Ron (and the leaked memo), I am still hoping that Ferry can be successful.  There is talent on this team, and it is up to coach Ferry andf his staff to teach these guys, coach them, and make them tuff to get them to win.  I do not want to hear excuses and interviews were he blames the players as if it does not reflect on him and his staff.   Hopefully the team can put the losses now to NJIT (which suddenly does not look that bad) and Pitt (where we killed ourselves) behind them and beat PSU & RMU next week. 

Last edited by CLK (12/06/2014 3:34 pm)

12/06/2014 4:16 pm  #68

CLK:  Now that my tongue has separated from my cheek, let me compliment you an an almost perfect post you made at 3:33 p.m.  My Lord, our season is only five games old.  We were a lousy six points down at 3:30 to got before we shot ourselves in both feet gainst Pitt.  We made Pitt play their asses off to get to the final margin.  We still will go 9-2 or 8-3 in the OOC in my humble opinion. We will beat RMU.  Not sure vs. PSU!!  Not real good, but not chopped liver.  I still believe when the conference games roll around, Ferry will have a good idea of who gets the lion's share of minutes and there will be a more solid sense of stability in the lineup.  I will say this without equivocation-any of our players who play with the edge with which Tysean Powell does is welcome on my starting and finishing five!! 

Last edited by grammudder (12/06/2014 4:17 pm)

12/06/2014 8:49 pm  #69

CLK wrote:

Westender wrote:

All true my friend, but I am not willing to give up on coach Ferry or this team just yet.  As much as I dislike Amodio for the firing of Ron (and the leaked memo), I am still hoping that Ferry can be successful.  There is talent on this team, and it is up to coach Ferry andf his staff to teach these guys, coach them, and make them tuff to get them to win.  I do not want to hear excuses and interviews were he blames the players as if it does not reflect on him and his staff.   Hopefully the team can put the losses now to NJIT (which suddenly does not look that bad) and Pitt (where we killed ourselves) behind them and beat PSU & RMU next week. 

CLK - I think you misunderstood my post. I was not suggesting Coach Ferry be fired. I was simply suggesting, as I said in my post, that hiring the NJIT coach is a conclusion one could draw from the results. And I certainly was not trying to revive the debate about RE's firing. It's done and Ron isn't coming back.  

12/07/2014 10:57 am  #70

Sorry my friend.  I did not mean to imply that. 

Board footera