Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2014 7:49 am  #1

Grammy

Grammuder, was thinking about this so I thought I would post it. You ave become the modern day Mossie Murphy, my friend, the ever positive cheerleader for the program. I say that with all due respect, and at the risk of being redundant, I respect that. But please, my friend, understand that the angst that you read on this board is neither unintelligent nor borne of hatred. It's decades of unrequited passion for Duquesne basketball, intelligent observations about relative strengths and weaknesses, and continued following in spite of (I could have said "despite" but said this on purpose instead) continuous bad outcomes.

We all want to win here. I only mean to single you out with the above-stated, heartfelt compliment. But I get tired of weary references to this board and our posters as a source of uninformed and unnecessary negativity.

I've been in business almost 35 years myself. I've created organizations, built accelerated growth paths, turned "turnarounds" into transformations, and seen a lots o' crazy <Rhymes with Pitt> In my time. You really do need to continuously evaluate, change what doesn't work, and do things differently sometimes to be successful. Hope isn't a plan. Trust comes with results. We want to see Jimmy Ferry succeed like mad here, and we all continue to follow passionately, but we will also continue to allow sober, frank, adult conversation and the occasional venting of frustration.

Go Dukes, I hope we (figuratively) obliterate Bobby Mo and Penn State! But dammit, Jim, get Robinson or McKoy going and settle the rotation down (less Jones) sooner rather than later!

12/07/2014 10:41 am  #2

Re: Grammy

Well stated ElDuque. I know I have been guilty on many occasions of the wishful thinking syndrome. My biggest letdown was planning the lineup for McConnell's junior year with the Oregon and Penn State recruits on board....

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/07/2014 10:42 am  #3

My friend, nobobdy knew Mossie better than me.  I sat on fund-raising boards with him.  Trust me when I tell you I am the antithesis of Mossie Murphy!  The only thing we had in common was our passion for Duquesne Basketball. Much like, me, thee and the posters to both boards.  His passion started as a student/cheerleader.  Mine started as a gym rat in the Munhall Neighborhood House where I first met the likes of Dudey Moore, Sihugo Green, the Ricketts brothers, Dr. Fletcher Johnson, Mickey Winograd and others and as a St. Mary Magdalene (Homestead) hooper.  And my background led me to catholic grade school, catholic high school and D.U.  Hell, my grade school coach Franny Manion was such a Dukes fan that I had to cheer for the Dukes under pain of mortal sin if I didn't.  With that little bit of background, I was asked to be on the original Top Five Club started by Dr. Dick Conlin (Eileen Cinicola's brother) and as they say the rest is history.  My reason for optimism now is that I have been witness to the crap that has come out of the atheltic department, the Ad building, the gym up real close and personal for umpteen years.  With the advent of Jim Ferry, I am convinced that the school finally has the right idea on how to build and sustain an athletic program.  It started at the top where it should have when Dr. Charlie realized you gotta spend money the right ways to succeed in athletics.  And that process has to go from top to bottom.  Setting aside personalities, there have been some legitimate, albeit modest, successes in athletics by any critics measure. Football, Women's hoops, Cross-country, volleyball, swimming, soccer have sustained higher levels of play despite one's perceptions of how many W's as opposed to L's have been posted.  Quite honestly, I did not like Jim Ferry or his "system" when he first got here.  No one was more disgusted than me when we got shellacked at Robert Morris.  I walked out with 10 minutes to go and did not go to another game that year.  Anyway, back from the past to the present.  I think I have a pretty good judgment of talent.  I like the talent on this men's team.  Quite franklly, I like the current women's coach more than Susie and the way he is developing his talent i(irrespective of what may happen today at Palumbo).  My brain tells me that I want to see where Robinson and McKoy are at the start of the A-10 schedule.  We gotta be patient in what we want to see out of Robinson.  If you know your history well, you know how tough it was for Emmet Sellers and the other fellows who were suspended for over a year to get back into the rythym of game competition after not being allowed to practice with the team.  I don't apologize for the way I post when I  post.  I just sometimes take it personal as a member of the Duquesne community  when I feel there is unnecessary or excessive bashing of the players and coaching staff.  Hence, I attack what I perceive to be negativity-right or wrong!  I am allowed my judgments as are all of us alums and fans.  I just could not resist the last "busting of the balls" post, so to speak, because of the NJIT loss and the NJIT win at Michigan.  Anyway, I like what Jim is doing.  I believe his present approach is part of a process. ....and I like this board as a whole.  In finishing, and to answer your last sentence, I think we do obliterate RMU and I know we can beat PSU there.  Kids just gotta want it. I ain't changin' my positive attitude.  Go Dukes.

Last edited by grammudder (12/07/2014 10:46 am)

12/07/2014 11:15 am  #4

Well spoken, Grammy.  As we all know, there has to be frustration with the Duquesne program after all these years (just look at the City Program Guide to see all the early Duke victories and the recent Pitt victories).  However, a true fan refuses to be a quitter, and doesn't jump on the band wagon if it ever comes (which I think is starting to happen).  There are those here that are just plain frustrated with the season as it progesses, and there are those who are basically trolls in Dukes clothing.  You know who you are, and WE know who you are, nobody is fooling anyone.  If your kid strikes out in a game, it tears you up.  But is it the coach's fault if your kid strikes out.  You just work with him until he gets better.  That is what I choose to believe.  By the way, I think Mckoy has given up minutes to make the team better.  True team player, because it must be hard to do, especially as a senior.  DC has decided that he does not have to carry the team, and seems to be playing within himself.  Offensively, I am comfortable with him taking a shot.  Stevens can make his on plays, I think Mason is still struggling with that (notice when the Dukes start falling behind, he starts shooting 3's more.  Just a few observations from my end, Think what you will.  I plan to be at every game, and if I go down with the ship, I hope we are still fighting to the end.  The rats are the first off a sinking ship, so good riddance to them, they only make the ship heavier and just steal the good stuff of the boat anyway!

12/07/2014 11:16 am  #5

Grammy I think the thing we all have in common is that we all want to see the Dukes win.  After a long long drought we finally had a taste of success under Ron.  Ferry was hired to take us to the next level and many like myself are anxious to see results on the court that demonstrates we are moving forward and not stuck or moving backwards.  We need positive people like you to keep balance while we are waiting.  Keep cheering my friend.

12/07/2014 11:20 am  #6

P.S.  I meant to say Domo is giving up minutes early in the season to develop the young players for later in the season.  Hats off to him if this is the case!

12/07/2014 8:39 pm  #7

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

Well spoken, Grammy.  As we all know, there has to be frustration with the Duquesne program after all these years (just look at the City Program Guide to see all the early Duke victories and the recent Pitt victories).  However, a true fan refuses to be a quitter, and doesn't jump on the band wagon if it ever comes (which I think is starting to happen).  There are those here that are just plain frustrated with the season as it progesses, and there are those who are basically trolls in Dukes clothing.  You know who you are, and WE know who you are, nobody is fooling anyone.  If your kid strikes out in a game, it tears you up.  But is it the coach's fault if your kid strikes out.  You just work with him until he gets better.  That is what I choose to believe.  By the way, I think Mckoy has given up minutes to make the team better.  True team player, because it must be hard to do, especially as a senior.  DC has decided that he does not have to carry the team, and seems to be playing within himself.  Offensively, I am comfortable with him taking a shot.  Stevens can make his on plays, I think Mason is still struggling with that (notice when the Dukes start falling behind, he starts shooting 3's more.  Just a few observations from my end, Think what you will.  I plan to be at every game, and if I go down with the ship, I hope we are still fighting to the end.  The rats are the first off a sinking ship, so good riddance to them, they only make the ship heavier and just steal the good stuff of the boat anyway!

The rats comment is bad form on your part. You really don't understand how many walked away in pure frustration after investing heart and soul and coin for decades. I know many who fall into this category. You get to be and sound elitist because of your connection to the program, but such an attitude will neither bring fans back nor unite what has become a fractured fan base thanks to Greg Amodio. Please Prince, I know you're capable of better. You post one astute comments on hoops, so please, no more fan bashing.

Grammy, cool story. Nice to know you a little more. I'll let you know next time I'm in the 'burgh and I'd be happy to spring for a round of "Arns."

12/08/2014 8:14 pm  #8

Thread after thread of bashing, someone trying to be positive gets called out, not that it matters.   I will still bleed red & blue, and support the team in anyway.  This is getting old anyhow, used to come for info, and there really isn't much of that here, or what little there is, I'll catch it on the other board.  Just walk away in frustration, I guess it's the thing to do!  lol

12/08/2014 9:05 pm  #9

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

Thread after thread of bashing, someone trying to be positive gets called out, not that it matters.   I will still bleed red & blue, and support the team in anyway.  This is getting old anyhow, used to come for info, and there really isn't much of that here, or what little there is, I'll catch it on the other board.  Just walk away in frustration, I guess it's the thing to do!  lol

That's all bull and you know it. But, do what you must.

Board footera