Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2014 11:15 pm  #26

Re: Perv State tonight.

Horrible look at end of game!

12/10/2014 11:16 pm  #27

I don't know about Mason at the point. Zero assists tonight.

12/10/2014 11:17 pm  #28

Well, looks like the Pervs rammed it to us tonight.

12/10/2014 11:20 pm  #29

Never thought Stevens would give up the ball.

12/10/2014 11:20 pm  #30

duq81 wrote:

Agreed.  
And don't know about McKoy off of the bench.

12/10/2014 11:26 pm  #31

Who would have thought that Mason and McCoy are minor parts to this team right now.  Jeez

12/10/2014 11:27 pm  #32

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Agreed.  
And don't know about McKoy off of the bench.

Agree with this. McCoy needs to play. Lewis may be playing himself into the rotation. It would be a major plus going forward if he became one of those big guys you see in the A10 that don't do much early, but become very solid as juniors and seniors. Stevens just needs to become a bit more judicious with his shots.

12/10/2014 11:29 pm  #33

lilpav30 wrote:

Who would have thought that Mason and McCoy are minor parts to this team right now. Jeez

Mason was playing so well vs the low majors, but since we stepped up in competition, he's been pretty bad. We can't afford to lose to Bobby Mo. If he struggles early, it may be time to put Colter back at the point.

12/11/2014 1:17 am  #34

Who is McKoy playing over? Not as talented as Powell and has been passed by Gill, although he is struggling as well. McKoy is not a 5 man but bad to play their out of necessity last season. Lewis' emergence could be key as we need to continue to upgrade our frontcourt size.

12/11/2014 1:31 am  #35

lilpav30 wrote:

Horrible look at end of game!

Again and again and again--one shot to tie or win, enough time on the clock and a time out left -- and once again, we don't call a time out to set up a play for the last shot--and again and again we end up heaving a bad percentage desperation shot and lose---again and again. It's Ground Hogs Day the movie.

12/11/2014 3:17 am  #36

The Dukes did not have a time out on the last play when Mason ended up with the ball

12/11/2014 5:08 am  #37

tough loss on the road vs a big10 team. still a gritty performance.
id try a lineup of mason dc gill powell and mckoy.
move dc back to point. 
mckoy may not have the offensive flash as powell or 3pt capability as gill, but mckoy plays hard, he hustles, and he plays tough defense.dont get me wrong, i love the potential of powell and gill. i think powell could be one of the best to leave the bluff in 4 years, but mckoy also has experience 'banging' underneath, and in the a10 thats key. 

12/11/2014 5:25 am  #38

Lewis could be a hidden gem. Needs help with his footwork but uses his size well, attacks the rim aggressively, and can rebound. Speaking of adding toughness, there you go.

I think there are starting minutes that can be had by either Lewis or McKoy: Jones' spot. Yeah, yeah, three guard lineup. I actually think Gill would be more effective off the bench, too. Because guess what? Neither Powell nor Gill can hold their own defensively against bigger opponents, and we might get Powell hurt trying. Why not team Lewis with Powell?

Speaking of big men, I sure would take Donovan Jack over Robinson right now. Jack gives you a point per minute, Robinson gives you a foul per minute.

12/11/2014 6:21 am  #39

i like robinson, i think he will develop. i just think we all bought into the hype from a cbs sports writer saying he is a 12/8 guy his freshman year, which i think is absurd to put that kind of pressure on a kid who sat out a year, esp in a conference as good as the a10. he needs experience and more time in weight room, and more time working out with coach rhoades(he wasnt allowed to practice with team last year)

what impresses me about lewis, compared to some of the other 'big guys' we have had thru the years, is effort and will...the kid clearly has made a jump from fr to soph year. and you can tell he is putting in the time and effort to get better...diamond in the rough!

12/11/2014 6:35 am  #40

ElDuque wrote:

Lewis could be a hidden gem. Needs help with his footwork but uses his size well, attacks the rim aggressively, and can rebound. Speaking of adding toughness, there you go.

I think there are starting minutes that can be had by either Lewis or McKoy: Jones' spot. Yeah, yeah, three guard lineup. I actually think Gill would be more effective off the bench, too. Because guess what? Neither Powell nor Gill can hold their own defensively against bigger opponents, and we might get Powell hurt trying. Why not team Lewis with Powell?

Speaking of big men, I sure would take Donovan Jack over Robinson right now. Jack gives you a point per minute, Robinson gives you a foul per minute.

Well, Jack is a junior. He gave Penn St. nothing as a freshman, but has improved quite a bit since then. Hopefully, Robinson will do the same. Too bad Lewis didn't sit out last year. He may be one of those guys like LaSalle's Zack, or Pitt's Gary McGhee, who goes from looking worthless, to a very important player as an upperclassman. A guy that big would be a handful for most of our opponents.

12/11/2014 8:24 am  #41

This is the first game in Ferry's tenure that I liked what I saw with his coaching.
Mason didn't play well against Pitt either...he is pressing...he will be fine.  He is talented and it will come.
I actually think this was a no-brainer!  Make 3 more foul shots and we win.  We played well enought to win.  Our foul shooting killed us.  

12/11/2014 10:04 am  #42

Random thoughts:

- With 9 points and 8 boards Lewis was a bright spot last night.
- Mason played so ugly (not like him) last night he looked like he was playing for the mob. Had a bad look at the end but the shot was so weak it fell five feet short of the basket.  Look at replay and did not see it blocked.  We need him to get back on track.
- FT shooting killed us.(see box score below)
- The effort was there and the game was in reach.  We continue to kill ourselves.  The careless pass by Jones late was a dagger.
-  Ferry's game day coaching continues to mystify me.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/duq-psu.html

Last edited by CLK (12/11/2014 10:06 am)

12/11/2014 11:30 am  #43

CLK, Jones had a couple of questionable passes, and shots, throughout the game.

As for Donovan Jack, if I remember correctly, he killed us last year too. Six blocked shots, as I recall? I think that's one kid, if we're honest with ourselves, we wish had stayed with us, assuming he would have developed the same way with our staff.

Just to have my final word on the State Pen stuff, I think after an evening of hearing "Mason Sucks" and other comments about our players that came through loud and clear on my television, I have no remorse for any remarks directed their way. Children suffered. Lives were ruined. Heads were turned. Disgusting.

Please don't come back with crap about my program. I'll delete anything that is not 100% factually accurate.

12/11/2014 2:00 pm  #44

All of the abve is true enough, but to me it's the foul shooting.  With our level of talent, emerging though it may be, the Dukes have to shoot fouls in the 80 percentile as a team...or lose.  Last night for example.  Whatever they're doing in the gym isn't transfering to the game.  Secondly, and I've said this before, can no one teach Mason how to ball fake?  Opponents know about him; know that, above all,  they have to keep a man in front of him, or he'll light them up.  If Mason would BUST off screens, not trot,  ball fake a shot - even if he's thirty feet out - then step around the now-flailing defender for an open look or break down the remaining defense, he would elevate his game to the level it can be.   And what's with the leg trucks on his drives?  That young fellow is critical to this teams' success.  Ball fake!  Win!

12/11/2014 5:30 pm  #45

I was at the game. This provides a perspecitve beyond what is seen on TV.
  Micah couldn't hit any shots in pregame warmup or in the warm up before the beginning of the second half. At the end of the game, I thought he showed leadership. He was talking with team mates, encouraging them and consulting with them. And it was apparent that they were listening to him. The team looked confident before the last posession. 
  Coach Ferry had used up his timeouts before our last possession. Remember that there was a call that the ball went out of bounds off Duquesne when PSU had 3 seconds left on the shot clock. The refs looked at the replay and both teams got an extra time out out of it. We defended PSU's shot and had about 13 seconds to get off our last shot. PSU defended the perimeter well on our last possession. I can't blame the coach. 
  Our foul shooting was abysmal. 
  Powell is overmatched inside. He will be a good and perhaps great player if we can use him as a forward. 
  My comment about Donovan Jack is that Coach Ferry tried to get him to come to Duquesne, but he asked out of his contract when Coach Everhart was fired. After that, Ferry commented that Jack would be a project. I have seen him play against us and also in other games and there is no doubt he would be an asset to our team. However, I can't blame Ferry; he tried to get him. 
  Gino Thorpe played his best game at PSU. 
  PSU pads the attendance figures just like us.
  This was a game between two mediocre teams. 

Board footera