Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2014 8:38 am  #1

Why we won in two simple thoughts

Point guards combined for 20 points and 10 assists.

Centers combined for double digits points and rebounds.

The ill advised experiment with Mason at the point mercifully ended.

12/21/2014 9:45 am  #2

Re: Why we won in two simple thoughts

Hindsight is as they say.  I actually did not have a problem with him trying "The experiment."  Let me say that almost ALL of us, and I do mean all of us, complained about DC last year and his poor play at the point guard.  His poor passes, poor shooting at times, and poor decision making created a lot of problems.  So I didn't have  a problem with him trying this and hey, it didn't work.  My problem with this are the following:
1.  Is he that bad of a judge of bball talent that again on the post-game show he said that HE SAID, that it would take 10 games for things to pan our or for him to get to know the team, or something like that.  That is truly said,  I can not imagine a "good" coach, most in the top 50 Believing that.
2.  With #1, if that is true for him which it obviously is, he didn't see the problem with this switch whether he won some games against some cupcakes or not.
3.  He needs to play his only senior for stability - he competed last year and did well most of the time and this year he can do the same.  
4.  Again, since it takes him 10 games to get to know his team he definitely will take 4-5 years to field a good one.  That is what it took at LIU.  Sure glad he knows where the gym is by now.
5.  Food for thought:  If the AD was getting ready to fire RE, TJ sure was smart to leave.  He would be a better coach thatn Ferry ...could you imagine those arguments from the bench ..and believe me, I was angry he left the program but obviously it was best for him and our program can go down hill with or without him!

Last edited by FAM (12/21/2014 9:49 am)

12/21/2014 1:06 pm  #3

FAM wrote:

5.  Food for thought:  If the AD was getting ready to fire RE, TJ sure was smart to leave.  He would be a better coach thatn Ferry ...could you imagine those arguments from the bench ..and believe me, I was angry he left the program but obviously it was best for him and our program can go down hill with or without him!

I'm not buying that. TJ leaving is what enabled GA to fire Ron, not the other way around. If the MConnells had known the Ron was going to be fired, they would have waited until it happened before announcing that TJ was leaving. This would have prevented any blame from being placed on TJ for Ron losing his job. The McConnells are not dumb enough to set themselves up for the venom they recieved if it could have been so easily avoided.

12/22/2014 9:26 am  #4

DC has struggled when he tries to work the offense around his own historically inaccurate three point shot. He has also had flashes when he has played like a floor general and done a good job of leading. He still, in my opinion, is not a top flight A-10 guard and clearly you can NOT win consistently when his chucking starts you in a 10-0 deficit. But if you get the kind of play from him that you got Saturday and Stevens and even Ridenour also contribute effectively then, yeah, you'll be OK.

Mason at the point IMHO was never a good idea. Experiment should have ended after game 1.

Ultimately Stevens or Ridenour this year and MAYBE Castro next year will become a better answer for us. Meantime, ride the pony while it's winning.

Good to see Robinson step up. Powell had an off day but he's now getting acclimated to a new role so he will bounce back. He is NOT a center. Another dumb experiment thankfully over.

To win in the A-10, you need solid PG play, a good big, and a decent shooter. I think we have potential to have middle of the conference talent at all three.

Now it's up to the coaches to make it work.

Go Dukes.

Board footera