Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2012 9:26 am  #1

REASONS WHY DUQUESNE BELONGS PART OF THE CATHOLIC CONFERENCE

1. Dr. D understnads & is fully committed to mens basketball
2. GA suggests Dr. D holds the purse strings maybe Charlie has to go direct to the big 7 presidents after all their all catholic.
3. Thanks to Dr. D Duquesne top 10 catholic school value us news i believe #4 oh yeah tier 1 national ranking
4.Pittsburgh media market 23/24
5 Centrally located bus trips within new conference for other sport teams big savings budget wise
6.Again thanks to Charlie upgrade of Palumbo
7. Thanks to we the taxpayers Marios Consol
8. Yeah no NCAA last 35 years but must stay in the presence & stress all the positives
9. TV contracts are negioted based upon media markets Dayton please!
10. In Charlie I trust if DU is rejected try try try again conference do add teams 10 could go to 12 or 14.
11. This should be a no brainer can GA deliver? like the students im tired of the excuses these are crucial times for our University Charlie has given GA with alot of tools

12/15/2012 9:37 am  #2

Re: REASONS WHY DUQUESNE BELONGS PART OF THE CATHOLIC CONFERENCE

Duquesne has a lot to sell.  We need to define and sell ourselves.  Good post.

12/15/2012 9:39 am  #3

From your lips to God's ears.  However wouldn't this really be a Dougherty negotiation and not a GA negotiation?   I see Dougherty having to play a much larger role in this.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/15/2012 9:41 am)

12/15/2012 9:51 am  #4

Staying in the Atlantic 10 is the wiser choice.  Duquesne has a better shot at getting to the NCAA's than in the Catholic conference.  As I stated before, Catholics should never segregate themselves in anything.  And chasing money is not in Duquesne's best interests.  The new league isn't that good.  Seton Hall, Providence, De Paul, and St. John's aren't so great.  Only Villanova and Georgetown are elite, and they may not stay.  Duquesne should war game this move for 10 yeras down the road.  Duquesne may end up as a 10 year doormat.  The Atlantic 10 is going to be just fine and Duquesne has a good chance to move up.

12/15/2012 10:05 am  #5

Another point in our favor would be a vested interest from Mario and Consol.  They would love to have the revenue from a successful DU on a yearly basis.  I could imagine them being part of the selling team when/if DU were to make their presentation.

12/15/2012 10:05 am  #6

Bilgy wrote:

Staying in the Atlantic 10 is the wiser choice.  Duquesne has a better shot at getting to the NCAA's than in the Catholic conference.  As I stated before, Catholics should never segregate themselves in anything.  And chasing money is not in Duquesne's best interests.  The new league isn't that good.  Seton Hall, Providence, De Paul, and St. John's aren't so great.  Only Villanova and Georgetown are elite, and they may not stay.  Duquesne should war game this move for 10 yeras down the road.  Duquesne may end up as a 10 year doormat.  The Atlantic 10 is going to be just fine and Duquesne has a good chance to move up.

Bilgy with all due respect it would not be a wiser choice.  It is like the guy who says I don't want to win the lottery because it would put me in a higher tax bracket.   We will only be a doormat if we allow ourselves to be limited by small time thinking.It is not like DU would be competing against large state shools in this League.  DU will have all the same resources and ability to compete with like minded similar institutions.   I guarantee you if La Salle or SBU were offered they would jump in a NY minute.  It is pretty simple if offered we go.

12/15/2012 10:11 am  #7

Bilgy wrote:

No disrespect intended, this sort of thinking baffles my mind. There are no guarantees what will happen to the A10 if 4 or 5 programs were to leave.  Don't take us and Richmond or Bonas move up gladly to take the spot.

Ten years down the road?   You want to plan for ten years down the road?  Things are changing monthly. You can't plan in this environment for ten years down the road. Ignoring this opportunity for an unknown landscape will never be an option for either Dougherty or GA.

12/15/2012 10:13 am  #8

CLK wrote:

It is pretty simple if offered we go.

Truer words have never been spoken.

12/15/2012 11:06 am  #9

Ironduke81 wrote:

9. TV contracts are negioted based upon media markets Dayton please!

There's no point in trashing Dayton. Dayton won't make any difference as far as Duquesne is concerned. Duquesne is being considered for the eastern division, not the western. The Richmond schools are the competition, not Dayton. There are 7 schools being considered for the western division. X, Marquette, and DePaul are locks. Creighton, Dayton, SLU, and Butler will compete for the other 3 spots. In the east, 5 spots are taken by BE schools. The 6th will either go to one of the Richmond schools, or Duquesne. If they feel they need a very strong team, VCU will get it, if market is more important, we have a chance.

12/15/2012 12:14 pm  #10

Good post, Iron. The academic side of things is not part of our resume that I was really thinking about in terms of something to put on a resume.

12/15/2012 12:14 pm  #11

duqkurt wrote:

Another point in our favor would be a vested interest from Mario and Consol.  They would love to have the revenue from a successful DU on a yearly basis.  I could imagine them being part of the selling team when/if DU were to make their presentation.

THis is a point that was also rattling around in my brain, bring the folks at the Consol into the game; a great selling point.

12/15/2012 12:24 pm  #12

Staying in the A-10 does give us a better chance at competing immediately and making the NCAA field sooner; possibly once established as a successful program, they may come calling at a later date.  One of the two RIchmond schools will remain, along with a decent group of others; ( St Joes, LaSalle, St Bona, maybe Dayton, Rhode Island; so the league wouldn't be bad.  As long as there is still a viable group of schools remaining it wouldn't be a bad place to land.  On the other hand, if they gut the league in an effort to destroy it, we would need to be in the mix for the new league.
What is UMASS planning with their football program moving to very low D-1 it almost has to go with the remaining football schools of the old Big East; correct?  Would the MAC take them for all sports?

12/15/2012 4:57 pm  #13

If the powers that be at DU have a clue they will enlist the support and guidance of Dave Moorehouse from the Penguins. He's a local guy and this would be right in his sweet spot. The bigger question is do they know that?

12/15/2012 5:11 pm  #14

dukesfan86 wrote:

If the powers that be at DU have a clue they will enlist the support and guidance of Dave Moorehouse from the Penguins. He's a local guy and this would be right in his sweet spot. The bigger question is do they know that?

Considering they worked with him to bring the 2012 and the 2015 NCAA tournament to Pittsburgh, I would suspect they know how to contact him.

12/15/2012 5:41 pm  #15

Anyone can get in touch with him by calling the penguins offices. The point is do they know how to utilize his skills in getting an opportunity to join the new league with a brand that I believe, we would consider better, but clearly not what it once was. Especially in the late 70's erly 80's when this could and should have happened rather than what became the BE.

Getting the NCAA tournement here is a far lighter and way less important lift as it relates to the long term health of the program.

12/15/2012 6:05 pm  #16

I'm sure the powers that be are working at it, but there's a limit to what they can do. We can't make them take us. VCU and Richmond are probably working too for that 12th spot.

12/15/2012 6:06 pm  #17

dukesfan86 wrote:

Anyone can get in touch with him by calling the penguins offices. The point is do they know how to utilize his skills in getting an opportunity to join the new league with a brand that I believe, we would consider better, but clearly not what it once was. Especially in the late 70's erly 80's when this could and should have happened rather than what became the BE.

Getting the NCAA tournement here is a far lighter and way less important lift as it relates to the long term health of the program.

I imagine that they will use all resources available to them.

12/15/2012 10:15 pm  #18

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29222/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=PodEXOSa

Newark Star Ledger Article. Prime targets are X, Butler and Creighton.  Dayton and St Louis secondary. No mention of DU.

12/16/2012 8:37 am  #19

Think about this.  The the Catholic 7 left the Big East because the addition of Tulane in New Orleans was going to bring down their RPI, and they had no say in the decision.  Why would they choose Duquesne?  Pittsburgh is nice, but it is not as nice as New Orleans in winter.  Tulane was the straw that broke the camel's back.  Would they replace that straw with lesser straw?  By the way, Tulane finally beat LSU this year and are 6-1.  Duquesne sullied their lunch bucket last night.

12/16/2012 10:24 am  #20

Bilgy wrote:

Bilgy, with all due respect man, how can you continue to be so wrong on so many fronts over the years?  You always seem to advocate the status quo. You were the one who argued for years against firing BC, because of what the future might hold.  Say what you want but all of those schools you have mentioned have challenged for a national title and been consistent multi-time March Madness dancers in recent memory, and they have names that are thought of when one thinks of NCAA hoops. A stripped down A-10 that is adding Manhattans and Sienas to replace Xaviers and Daytons is going to be another MAAC or NEC, one bid and one bid only.  You think we have problems now getting good recruits to come here?  Wait till we're "powers" in that new conference.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/16/2012 1:03 pm  #21

I'm done posting on this topic totally.  You either get people ridiculing you for attempting to sell Duquesne or people who are thrilled with the status quo and won't accept change.

Accepting the status quo DEFINES the problems of this athletic department.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/16/2012 1:04 pm)

12/16/2012 1:47 pm  #22

Kurt I have appreciated your posts on this subject, and thank your the links you have posted.  Who knows what will happen in the next few days and weeks assuming the Myans were not correct.  Nothing said here is going to make any difference.  I believe Dr. Dougherty is working hard to try to sell DU for inclusion in the new leagues or best position Duquesne should that not happen.  You & I and others have made a good case for why DU should be included.  There are some who don't see it our way. Keep posting.

Last edited by CLK (12/16/2012 1:53 pm)

12/16/2012 1:52 pm  #23

Sad. By the way, I did not realize this but the BE7 won't leave until 6/30/15 according to this article.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4365#more-4365

Last edited by CLK (12/16/2012 5:41 pm)

12/16/2012 2:00 pm  #24

CLK wrote:

By the way, I did not realize this but the BE7 won't leave until 6/30/15 according to this article.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4365#more-4365

Great read.  I thought the same exact thing yesterday.   The timing of that announcement and directly affecting Connecticut in that manner was awful and could have waited.  But then there are $$$ to think about.  That guy runs a very good blog.

12/16/2012 10:32 pm  #25

Personally I think the "Catholic" schools should think long term.  The reason the Big East imploded was because they were not a like minded conference.  The "Catholics" or whatever you care to call them, should bind as many schools as possible, before the NCAA itself implodes.  That way they have some leverage against the big state schools.  The Big East is a thing of the past.  Everyone is still thinking in terms of what they were. not what the are now.  Ten years ago, would they be up at night worried about being raided? If they don't pool a lot of schools together this time, the same processes will be repeated until they are all has beens,  Duquesne was once great, now look at the name recognition.  The same could be said for the other once powerful name universities (Providence, Seaton Hall, even St. Johns, just to name a few). Heck, Duquesne actually gave Georgetown a game while getting clobbered by Pitt and Bobbie Mo.  Short term elite thinking is going to be the death of them.

Board footera