Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2015 1:16 am  #51

Re: George Mason

There was a story  written by Myron Cope in a 1961 Sports Illlustrated article about Mossie Murphy and
his relationship with Duquesne basketball,real nice story. Mossie had a huge impact on Duquesne
basketball,he would go out with Coach  Manning  on visiting recruits.Manning was a pretty serious
guy and Murphy had a presence ,real personable with the families ,one being Willie Somersets mother
and she just loved the guy. The mother loved his sense of humor and wanted Willie to come to
Duquesne because she did not want to hurt Mr.Murphys feelings if Somerset went elsewhere.
 Murphy was constantly pestering Duquesne administrators to put  more money into the
program  to the point he  became a nuisance . Manning grudgingly recognized Murphys  talents
in recruiting and he took him along on visits which was allowed at that time.The two were very different.
Manning would tell a prospective recruit  that Duquesne was a good academic school in a poor neighborhood
and he told the parents that their son would be much  too  busy handling academics and practicing  to
be out running around Pittsburgh getting into trouble. Manning would make sure of that.
It was Murphy though who could seal the deal with his ability to connect with the players and their families
and sell his great love for Duquesne University.

2/07/2015 9:55 am  #52

Thanks Stew!!

2/07/2015 10:09 am  #53

Mossie was a character to say the least.  As a student I benefited from his generousity via trickle down econonmics.  When a certain friend of mine who was one of "Mossie's boys" would go to his home for dinner I knew to be at the Van Braam Cafe later because someone would have some spending money to spread around.

I recall running into Mossie at Wholey's Seafoods sometime during the mid-80s.  We exchanged pleasantries and were talking about the Dukes when I said something Mossie disagreed with.  Within moments he was hopping up and down poking me in the chest with a finger to make sure he was getting his point across. 

I'm fortunate to sit in the row in front of Mossie's family at Palumbo Center.  They are still great supporters of the Dukes.  I miss having Mossie at the games greatly.

2/07/2015 11:30 am  #54

Here's a Sports Illustrated article from December 1972 on the Steel Bowl, with the Dukes, Pitt, Jacksonville and Southern Illinois as participants.  You will get the flavor of where the Dukes stood on the national stage at this time; and little did we know that this was around the time that the slow, steady descent began.

http://www.si.com/vault/1972/12/18/617614/a-case-of-sophistry

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/07/2015 11:48 am)

2/07/2015 11:47 am  #55

Here's an AP story from February 1988, written by Alan Robinson, on the demise of the Dukes' basketball program.  Mind you, this is 27 years ago!

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-21/sports/sp-44234_1_duquesne-dukes

Board footera