Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2015 2:50 pm  #1

Support the Duquesne womens basketball,screw the men

I have watched the  Duquesne womans basketball team and I am very impressed.This team plays hard,well
coached,has toughness and all the qualities the men lack.VCU tried pressuring Duquesne and  they made
the Rams pay.The Rams started off strong pressuring the Dukes who turned the ball over early and it
looked like this would be a tough game.Duquesne made some adjustments and the rout was on.It
was Duquesne pressuring VCU,easy layups,good free throw shooting,good 3 point shooting,a toughness
that we never see from the men . Only concern is defensive rebounding.
 I think  Dan Burt  is a better coach than his predecessor,as this team looks to be tournament ready and
hungry for something  better than  the NIT, these girls play smart,have leaders in Robinson,Bresnihan.
  Burt is bringing in a fantastic recruiting class ,one of the top players from Ohio, a couple Europeon national
players ,Omogrosso and RIchardson locally who are among the best in PA.
 Forget the mens team , I like basketball when it is played and coached well and this is a  Duquesne team that
fits that description. 
   If I lived within 100 miles I would go see this team play, cheap ticket prices,a very good product and
a  basketball team Duquesne can be proud of.

2/08/2015 3:33 pm  #2

Re: Support the Duquesne womens basketball,screw the men

Suzy went to Pitt and we got better😝

A diehard fan since 1961

2/08/2015 6:26 pm  #3

Phildog wrote:

Suzy went to Pitt and we got better😝

Yeah, well don't look now, but Pitt is having a very very good season. Our win over them is now the feather in our cap. I think their RPI is now in the 30's.

2/08/2015 8:01 pm  #4

I love everything you said about the women's team and how they play.  It's very, very nice to watch.  I'm not even that worried about the defensive rebounding, as the women's game naturally features more offensive boards and less defensive boards.  The Dukes have actually been borderline top 25 in rebounding margin in the country all year (currently 27th after the VCU game).  I'm not even sure we made adjustments to VCU's press, the Dukes just started playing better.  I didn't see any Xs and Os changes watching it, though I could be wrong there.  I'm thinking it was the players adjusting on the fly (how nice it is to have high IQ players!).

As far as something better than the WNIT, that likely means going thru both GW and Dayton in the A-10 tourney.  I'm not sure we can beat a team like GW who is on a 19 game win streak and is playing like a top 10 team in the country right now.  Dayton's potentailly beatable on a neutral floor, as we match up well against them anyway even though they have a lot more talent, but we may need a lot of help to knock of GW (or get a team like Fordham to do it for us).

I'm not sold on Burt as a better true coach than SMS.  Like duq81 said, look at the quick turnaround at Pitt...after she got the Dukes squarely on the bubble two of her last three seasons.  Burt hasn't gotten the program back to there yet.  (Though, to be fair, there is a site out there that after the VCU win does have Duquesne in it's second four out list...though the Dukes stand virtually no chance of an at-large looking at the bubble of last teams in like Michigan, Miami, and Minnesota.  Duquesne is way too far behind them right now and don't have the opportunities to catch up.)  Pitt's current RPI is at 32 after the Louisville game duq81, and that team is almost assured of dancing.  Which sucks, because some of SMS's teams here were every bit as talented as that one but didn't get the chance for quality wins that Suzie gets at Pitt both in conference and OOC.  (Yes, I've seen the Pitt women play a few times this year to attest to their talent level.)

The big thing, as you mentioned, is Burt's recruiting has been as good if not better than SMS's.  It's a good sign..

2/08/2015 10:09 pm  #5

I think Duquesne will win out the rest of regular season and if they get a good seed in Richmond
and get another game with Dayton  and win that which is possible,get into the finals and lose
to GW,which is the best team ,no question.,I think Duquesne has a chance at the NCAAs.
  It  sounds like a long shot,but if the Dukes,take  each game as it comes along,who knows.
 The Dukes will have won 12 games in a row, take a 23-8 record into the championship game.
The beauty of this is its possible and I am a dreamer,it takes the sting out of the misery of
the mens season,  if it doesnt work out ,this team is good enough to  pull a upset  in the NIt.
 I am looking forward to see  how Duquesne finishes out the season,checking their RPI
as we are all looking at something ,anything positive at Duquesne.
 Bottom line is they are deserving of  better support at their remaining home games.

2/09/2015 8:25 am  #6

Winning out is a tall task.   Even with the schedule that remains in the Dukes favor.   

Grabbing the 3 seed and staying away from GW until the finals is the first priority. GW handled Dayton rather easily at GW yesterday.

With the game in Richmond, you have the possiblity of having to play either Richmond or VCU on their home court early which would also not be favorable.   The Dukes always seem to have luck break against them and always have to face the home team on their home court in the tournament. 

In regards to the other coach, I think she fell into this year with Monica Wignot.   That was a player she tried to recuit for DU and she went to play for Pitt volleyball.   And she got her as a fifth year senior.   I cant imagine anyone would have guessed that Wignot would have stepped in and done the things she has done for them.   I know what Pitt's RPI is but for them to get in, the ACC would have to get 8 teams into the tournament.   I think if they have one unexpected loss, they will not get in.   At least I am hoping that is the case. (Yeah, I am that petty and small, I dont want her to get in the tournament.) 

I think Pitt could actually take a step back next year with out Wignot and Keisel, while I see DU continuing to rise next year.

Last edited by duqkurt (2/09/2015 8:31 am)

2/09/2015 8:37 am  #7

Was Stacia King hurt earlier in the year?   I noticed that she has been getting more minutes lately and really contributed against VCU.

2/09/2015 12:21 pm  #8

Right now the Dukes are feeling really good about themselves and the confidence  in themselves is
off the chart,you can see Burts post game interview and the 3 Dukes post game interview ,they
are openly speaking of their gratitude for each other . They are as one.
 I like their chances at LASALLE and when you play with confidence to go on the road and win like
they did against Fordham and Bona, they already have the mental mindset advantage over a
mediocre Lasalle team before the game tips off. Things are breaking nicely for them, and most average
people who are positive as that,you create your own good luck, it snowballs,joy,being grateful to
your teamates,this wasnt supposed to be a great year ,rebuilding, and  lets ride this feel good challenge.
  You get 1,000 folks rooting for them  at a home game-someone cares about this team-they
play at a higher level . The question is can this team keep that mindset,this gift and be able to
handle it. How many times does this happen  to Duquesne teams,not much.

2/09/2015 12:28 pm  #9

duqkurt wrote:

Winning out is a tall task. Even with the schedule that remains in the Dukes favor.

Grabbing the 3 seed and staying away from GW until the finals is the first priority. GW handled Dayton rather easily at GW yesterday.

With the game in Richmond, you have the possiblity of having to play either Richmond or VCU on their home court early which would also not be favorable. The Dukes always seem to have luck break against them and always have to face the home team on their home court in the tournament.

In regards to the other coach, I think she fell into this year with Monica Wignot. That was a player she tried to recuit for DU and she went to play for Pitt volleyball. And she got her as a fifth year senior. I cant imagine anyone would have guessed that Wignot would have stepped in and done the things she has done for them. I know what Pitt's RPI is but for them to get in, the ACC would have to get 8 teams into the tournament. I think if they have one unexpected loss, they will not get in. At least I am hoping that is the case. (Yeah, I am that petty and small, I dont want her to get in the tournament.)

I think Pitt could actually take a step back next year with out Wignot and Keisel, while I see DU continuing to rise next year.

I agree with pretty most of this.  I, too, am expecting at least one slip-up somewhere.  Conference games on the road are never fun, and from the one game I saw of Richmond's I think they're the type of team that could give us some trouble.  I'm not sold completely on next year being on the rise - who will be the other post with JAJ and Stasia graduating?  If it's Duling, there's a huge question mark there...

As far as the tourney...it's not quite a true home court at least this year.  It's at the Richmond Coliseum and not directly at a Hagan or UD Arena like has haunted the Dukes.  Hey...maybe Richmond can do us a favor and knock off GW

The ACC could very well get eight teams into the Dance (though I see Pitt at the #7 slot, not the #8 with a couple big OOC wins).  It's not unprecedented at all...the ACC got eight last year (ND, Duke, Maryland, NC St, UNC, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, and FSU).  It's been one of my biggest complaints with the women's selection committee...the willingness to take a 7-9 ACC or SEC team sometimes above a 13-3 A10 team with similar OOC profiles when the A-10 team has better computer numbers (though less top 25, 50, and 100 wins because they don't get as many opportunities).

2/09/2015 12:31 pm  #10

duqkurt wrote:

Was Stacia King hurt earlier in the year? I noticed that she has been getting more minutes lately and really contributed against VCU.

She wasn't dressed for many of the earlier games.

2/09/2015 1:04 pm  #11

rogabee wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Winning out is a tall task. Even with the schedule that remains in the Dukes favor.

With the game in Richmond, you have the possiblity of having to play either Richmond or VCU on their home court early which would also not be favorable. The Dukes always seem to have luck break against them and always have to face the home team on their home court in the tournament.

In regards to the other coach, I think she fell into this year with Monica Wignot. That was a player she tried to recuit for DU and she went to play for Pitt volleyball. And she got her as a fifth year senior. I cant imagine anyone would have guessed that Wignot would have stepped in and done the things she has done for them. I know what Pitt's RPI is but for them to get in, the ACC would have to get 8 teams into the tournament. I think if they have one unexpected loss, they will not get in. At least I am hoping that is the case. (Yeah, I am that petty and small, I dont want her to get in the tournament.)

I agree with pretty most of this.  I, too, am expecting at least one slip-up somewhere.  Conference games on the road are never fun, and from the one game I saw of Richmond's I think they're the type of team that could give us some trouble.  I'm not sold completely on next year being on the rise - who will be the other post with JAJ and Stasia graduating?  If it's Duling, there's a huge question mark there...

As far as the tourney...it's not quite a true home court at least this year.  It's at the Richmond Coliseum and not directly at a Hagan or UD Arena like has haunted the Dukes.  Hey...maybe Richmond can do us a favor and knock off GW

The ACC could very well get eight teams into the Dance (though I see Pitt at the #7 slot, not the #8 with a couple big OOC wins).  It's not unprecedented at all...the ACC got eight last year (ND, Duke, Maryland, NC St, UNC, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, and FSU).  It's been one of my biggest complaints with the women's selection committee...the willingness to take a 7-9 ACC or SEC team sometimes above a 13-3 A10 team with similar OOC profiles when the A-10 team has better computer numbers (though less top 25, 50, and 100 wins because they don't get as many opportunities).

Thanks for the info.   I dont know where they will get the points on the post, but honestly I never thought Burt would get the contribution that he has from Jose-Anne.  She showed nothing of this in the first three years.   

I honestly thought they would take a huge step back this year.   I didn't see where they were going to get scoring from, but I am happily wrong.   And I wasn't the only one that thought that.   When the played the first game vs Princeton, the color announcer on the internet broadcast (forgetting that he could be heard) said something to the effect of "This is going to be a rough year, where is this team going to get scoring from?"    He was wrong too.  LOL.

2/09/2015 1:11 pm  #12

stew wrote:

Right now the Dukes are feeling really good about themselves and the confidence  in themselves is
off the chart,you can see Burts post game interview and the 3 Dukes post game interview ,they
are openly speaking of their gratitude for each other . They are as one.
 I like their chances at LASALLE and when you play with confidence to go on the road and win like
they did against Fordham and Bona, they already have the mental mindset advantage over a
mediocre Lasalle team before the game tips off. Things are breaking nicely for them, and most average
people who are positive as that,you create your own good luck, it snowballs,joy,being grateful to
your teamates,this wasnt supposed to be a great year ,rebuilding, and  lets ride this feel good challenge.
  You get 1,000 folks rooting for them  at a home game-someone cares about this team-they
play at a higher level . The question is can this team keep that mindset,this gift and be able to
handle it. How many times does this happen  to Duquesne teams,not much.

Well I think we all hope you are right.  Winning out and advancing to the A10 finals would have to put them firming on the bubble and in consideration, if not in.

2/09/2015 4:06 pm  #13

rogabee wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Was Stacia King hurt earlier in the year? I noticed that she has been getting more minutes lately and really contributed against VCU.

She wasn't dressed for many of the earlier games.

Her academic performance needed to be addressed through the fall semester.  

2/09/2015 5:14 pm  #14

Earlier posts brought up the issue of the Dukes' and other teams RPIs.  Here's the latest from the NCAA D-1 Women's Basketball RPI, issued Feb. 9, 2015 (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-rpi):

#14 Dayton
#15 GW
#61 Dukes
#75 Fordham
#95 Richmond     2/18 home
#117 St Joe's       2/25 away
#120 VCU
#123 RI                2/22 home
#141 Bonnies       3/1  home
#164 St. Louis
#181 LaSalle       2/11 away
#183 UMass        2/14 away
#216 George Mason
#234 Davidson

Pitt's RPI is 32.  

I think the Dukes can run the regular season table and end up with 21 wins: 21-8 (13-3).  If they do that I would believe that they would finish in 3rd place.  Should they get 21 regular season wins, I would guess that the Dukes' RPI might improve to at least the high 40s.  Getting to the finals of the A-10 tournament would earn the Dukes 2 more wins and improve the team's RPI.  Depending on what happens to other contending teams outside of the A-10, the Dukes' still may have to win the A-10 tournament to get into the NCAA tournament.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (2/10/2015 12:50 am)

2/09/2015 9:26 pm  #15

At this point, an NCAA at-large bid is extremely unlikely even if the Dukes even win out until the A-10 final.  If the Dukes do get into the discussion it's because the vast majority of the bubble would be collapsing - which is obviously completely possible and has happened in the past (two of the last five years actually). 

The problem is that there's not a lot of top 100 victories left out there for Duquesne to get (maybe only one in the A-10 semi if Richmond's can't finish in the top 100).  Also, if you look at other teams on the bubble - Michigan, Miami, Minnesota, Tulane, LSU, Seton Hall, etc, currently their resumes are all better than ours, and we can't improve much.  I'll keep an eye on things though and post bracketologies like I've done in previous years on the other board should the Dukes get into better position.  

However, let's not look too far ahead.  La Salle with a similar team did win at AJP last year remember...and road games are never easy...

2/09/2015 10:21 pm  #16

I know Coach Burt is concerned about LaSalle's athletic guards.   I agree that winning on the road can be very tough.  Sagarin makes the Dukes an 11 point favorite in this game; RealTime RPI, a 2 point favorite.  

Board footera