Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2016 8:21 am  #1

Duquesne hosted some major talent yesterday

8/18/2016 9:30 am  #2

Re: Duquesne hosted some major talent yesterday

“It is right in the heart of Pittsburgh,” said Cohill.  “You get to play in front of thousands of people". And I humbly consider myself part of those thousands.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/18/2016 10:13 am  #3

"Thousands of people"...wow...I guess for some games there were 2,000 or 3,000.  Not sure if he understands that in many of those other places those numbers are tripled.  Glad to see him being recruited.

8/18/2016 10:24 am  #4

Carmody also visited. Here is another story on the visited 

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/08/18/duquesne-hosts-top-100-player/

8/18/2016 11:27 am  #5

He loves Coach Perry.

8/18/2016 1:28 pm  #6

Head fakes by Cohill, Carmody and Ferry.    For the players, the more offers the better.  They can play schools off of each other.
For Ferry,  he can say he recruits top 100 players.  But to no avail.  Ferry will end up signing the usual 2 plus star players.
Only hope for Ferry is the player has family  connections to the city or the player determines that he is not as good he is being told and going to DU would allow him to play and develop rather than sit the bench at an Ohio State or West Virginia. Think NIxon, Mike James or Nick Bosnic.

8/18/2016 2:07 pm  #7

Carmody is NOT coming here. Right from the mouth of his uncle who I ran into in the Paneras on McKnight Road.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/18/2016 2:25 pm  #8

Econ69 wrote:

Head fakes by Cohill, Carmody and Ferry.    For the players, the more offers the better.  They can play schools off of each other.
For Ferry,  he can say he recruits top 100 players.  But to no avail.  Ferry will end up signing the usual 2 plus star players.
Only hope for Ferry is the player has family  connections to the city or the player determines that he is not as good he is being told and going to DU would allow him to play and develop rather than sit the bench at an Ohio State or West Virginia. Think NIxon, Mike James or Nick Bosnic.

Nixon?  Nixon doesn't belong on that list. Nixon signed with a program that had gone 18-7, 21-4, 17-7, 21-5, 20-5, 16-8 over the previous 6 years, and was ranked at some point during 4 of those seasons. He didn't come because he thought it would be easy to play, he came because Duquesne was a strong program.

8/18/2016 2:36 pm  #9

KenOTR73 wrote:

Carmody is NOT coming here. Right from the mouth of his uncle who I ran into in the Paneras on McKnight Road.

NONE of these type guys are coming here. If you are a top 100 player, you would never ever realistically consider a school like us until we are at least on par with the vcus, st joes, Dayton, and Uris, who get one of those caliber guys every 2, 3, or maybe 4 years. Pitt doesn't get tons of these guys and their an upper middle level major d one basketball program in the acc.

Us recruiting this kid would have to work like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LvcGCw7yGYo

Last edited by Duques102 (8/18/2016 2:37 pm)

8/19/2016 3:05 pm  #10

I guess I should have expected the stream of negativity relating to this post.  Getting these guys to visit is a huge step.  If they don't try to get these guys the complaint would be that we don't go after the top players so they'll never get better.  If they didn't go after Isaiah Mike, he wouldn't be in the program now.  The point is that you only have to attract one of these guys to convince other guys that Duquesne is a viable option. 

I've been over this so many times on this board, but Duquesne has so much to offer a player, good academics, playing in an exciting city that is a fun place for young people, the opportunity to play in a good league in major eastern cities, where you can get exposure; normally a 4-5 bid league, that is not so stacked with the blue bloods of basketball that you can't hope to compete, a great sports city that will support Duquesne as soon as it starts to win again, lots of local alumni many in prominent positions, a new administration and athletic director that has already made a difference in the sports program.

8/20/2016 7:06 am  #11

That's still not playing all of our cards Levon. We also have recent alum who played years in the NBA (James, Nixon) and the president of the world champs (Komoroski). I hope when the big targets come that the big guns are calling Ferry just to "check in" and to extol the virtues of their Alma Mater. Everyone likes icing on their cake.

(happy)

8/20/2016 8:43 am  #12

Levon I absolutely agree to take a shot at top 100 players.  There is a difference, however, between negativity and realism.  How many top 100 players have we landed in the last 30 years?. Not saying it can't happen just exceedingly rare.  Our best shot is a local kid and to go after these kids early before they blow up like TJ (I think this is the case with Mike also). The reality today is that kids want to play at the highest level, and if a major program comes calling they just shove you out of the way.  Case in point was the kid a couple years ago (forget his name)  was down to us and the Bonnies after a long courtship.  South Carolina came in and offered the day before he was scheduled to make a decision, scheduled a quick visit and signed him.  DU does have a lot to offer, and this works to our advantage when recruiting under the radar guys with offers from lesser conferences like the kid in the link below.  That is a hit or miss proposition depending on how well our coaches measure potential and see things others miss.  I would say the Bonnies coaches have been real good at that.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/08/20/strong-visit-duquesne/

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jason-strong

Last edited by CLK (8/20/2016 8:53 am)

8/20/2016 1:11 pm  #13

Anyone remember Danny Nee's quote that if he came to see a kid, and a big name coach was there, he'd turn around and walk out?

8/20/2016 1:24 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

Anyone remember Danny Nee's quote that if he came to see a kid, and a big name coach was there, he'd turn around and walk out?

Danny Nee is a bad example.  The guy hung it up before he even came to DU.  Both Ron & Ferry have taken shots at kids with big offers because while it is a long shot you never know.  My feeling is a swing and a miss is better than never stepping to the plate.  Here is a kid we are after with BCS offers where we are still made the cut.  Who knows?

Chip Miller ‏[/url]Marcus Santos-Silva final eight: VCU, Boston College, Temple, Bradley, Kansas St, St Bonaventure, Duquesne and LaSalle, per [url=https://twitter.com/VTAcademyHoops]@VTAcademyHoops.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/marcus-santos-silva

Last edited by CLK (8/20/2016 1:24 pm)

8/20/2016 2:25 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Danny Nee is a bad example.  The guy hung it up before he even came to DU.  Both Ron & Ferry have taken shots at kids with big offers because while it is a long shot you never know.  My feeling is a swing and a miss is better than never stepping to the plate.  Here is a kid we are after with BCS offers where we are still made the cut.  Who knows?

Chip Miller ‏[/url]Marcus Santos-Silva final eight: VCU, Boston College, Temple, Bradley, Kansas St, St Bonaventure, Duquesne and LaSalle, per [url=https://twitter.com/VTAcademyHoops]@VTAcademyHoops.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/marcus-santos-silva

Oh, I agree fully. It never hurts to get your name out there. That said, you have to pick your spots. You can't neglect the kids you have a realistic shot at to chase too many long shots.

8/20/2016 7:03 pm  #16

Along with offering early you have to have the foresight to recognize that a kid "has it."

TJ is the best example. Ron offered him freshman year and how many posters ripped the two of them.

8/21/2016 12:11 pm  #17

ElDuque wrote:

That's still not playing all of our cards Levon. We also have recent alum who played years in the NBA (James, Nixon) and the president of the world champs (Komoroski). I hope when the big targets come that the big guns are calling Ferry just to "check in" and to extol the virtues of their Alma Mater. Everyone likes icing on their cake.

(happy)

Yes, quite right, I left a few aces out of my list.

8/21/2016 12:15 pm  #18

CLK wrote:

Levon I absolutely agree to take a shot at top 100 players.  There is a difference, however, between negativity and realism.  How many top 100 players have we landed in the last 30 years?. Not saying it can't happen just exceedingly rare.  Our best shot is a local kid and to go after these kids early before they blow up like TJ (I think this is the case with Mike also). The reality today is that kids want to play at the highest level, and if a major program comes calling they just shove you out of the way.  Case in point was the kid a couple years ago (forget his name)  was down to us and the Bonnies after a long courtship.  South Carolina came in and offered the day before he was scheduled to make a decision, scheduled a quick visit and signed him.  DU does have a lot to offer, and this works to our advantage when recruiting under the radar guys with offers from lesser conferences like the kid in the link below.  That is a hit or miss proposition depending on how well our coaches measure potential and see things others miss.  I would say the Bonnies coaches have been real good at that.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/08/20/strong-visit-duquesne/

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jason-strong

Strong looks like a good option; a mobile big guy, the type that fits well into the Jim Ferry offensive system.  Hopefully we can make this happen.

Board footera