Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2019 10:18 am  #51

Re: Big Announcement

CLK wrote:

I hear you my friend.  I don't get it, or the historical connection  The red lion made more sense in that regard. The script D has historical roots.  Are they now going to also change the D on the class rings, and the statue on campus?  Oh well what do I know, I am just one of those nasty curmudgeons.

It's for athletics only.  The old D will still be around.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/15/2019 10:21 am  #52

Simms wrote:

CLK wrote:

I hear you my friend.  I don't get it, or the historical connection  The red lion made more sense in that regard. The script D has historical roots.  Are they now going to also change the D on the class rings, and the statue on campus?  Oh well what do I know, I am just one of those nasty curmudgeons.

It's for athletics only.  The old D will still be around.

Exactly, just a recruiting gimmick for lack of a better word.

5/15/2019 10:26 am  #53

I recognize it is marketing.  Don't get the historical reference in the roll out.  It is not getting much of a review on twitter.  Many saying it looks we copied the Dayton D shape.  

5/15/2019 10:37 am  #54

Its an age divide, my 78 year old uncle who is an alum probably wont like it, but me at 46 does, and my niece at 14 does.  Younger folks at work with no association with DU like it, so do a few middle agers like me.

If anyone thinks the Dayton D looks like our new D, they have vision problems.   

5/15/2019 11:01 am  #55

As an oldster, I think the D by itself doesn’t say Duquesne to me. I hope it grows into that. For a bit, the D needs to be accompanied by Dukes or Duquesne so that people associate it to our athletic programs. After a bit, it could grow on me.

5/15/2019 11:31 am  #56

A little underwhelmed by the new logo, but hopefully it will grow on me. I do like the new uniforms though. Upgrade over the somewhat plain uniforms we had the past two years.

5/15/2019 11:35 am  #57

Not very good,dissappointed,the logo Duquesne Pa school district has is better than whatever Duquesne University has. The logo doesnt matter,winning games and going to tournament for first time since 1977
is all I am concerned with.I cringe to think how much money was spent on this new logo.

5/15/2019 11:49 am  #58

That D is a total joke. Where ever I go people recognize the Red Ring. People will not even know what school this merchandise is from. I know a lot of you youngsters like change, but this is absurd. Not one quality recruit will come to this school because of the old D or this new one. I am so over this LeBron and Nike partnership and the thinking that this is how we are going to obtain our goals. Win and win consistently is the only way to get the better recruits and sell your merchandise. All you have to do is ask the Georgetown teams of the eighties, Villanova of today and the Yankees and Steelers all time if changing their logos helped or was it just winning that helped their sales and recognition. Hell, if anyone should of changed their uniforms and brand, it would of been PSU after that terrible tragedy up in Happy Valley. But, they stayed the course and resurrected the program.

5/15/2019 11:56 am  #59

WOW the new logo is Fierce😂. The new era of those Fierce Duquesne Dukes begins thanks to the swoosh. Hopefully ND or the Tide don’t change the team logo to be as fierce as our new D(Please pretend the D is slanted) my iPad has yet to ad Fierce lettering.

5/15/2019 12:06 pm  #60

Dropped $120 on new gear.  I'm in!

5/15/2019 12:21 pm  #61

VBC - LOVE the kitty logo/mascot!  You should have been on the planning committee!

5/15/2019 12:31 pm  #62

Wildwood13 wrote:

I know a lot of you youngsters like change, but this is absurd. Not one quality recruit will come to this school because of the old D or this new one. I am so over this LeBron and Nike partnership and the thinking that this is how we are going to obtain our goals.

Actually recruits seem to love it. And we already know the LeBron relationship is a huge selling point for recruits soooo

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/15/2019 12:36 pm  #63

I think it's brilliant. Duquesne athletics needed a rebrand before moving into the Coop. This is distinctive and sharp. I'm not a fan of the teal but I like the other color schemes a lot, I love the distinctive typeface, and I see this resonating with younger fans. I just hope the merchandising goes beyond the B&N store and the website. Go sell football jerseys and basketball tees at Dick's. Get a bunch of mini-helmets done up.

PS, now I have to throw out 43 years worth of t-shirts and sweatshirts.

5/15/2019 1:29 pm  #64

CLK wrote:

The script D went away from athletics during the last logo change to the more stylized one because the Detroit Tigers brought trademark cases. Duquesne University as a whole is only able to use the scripted D in specific circumstances and with specific items surrounding it, and the italicized one in the previous athletic logo was a part of the response to that. The logo change at that time wasn’t just to have a new logo, it was also because of the Tigers throwing their weight around.

I know this well because it happened while I was a student. We were designing shirts for a school of music student group fundraiser and I had to get the design past University people. If we wanted the gothic D, there were other elements we would have been required to include that we weren’t willing to mess up the design to put in. So we just dropped the gothic D.

And as we know, this isn’t the first time we’ve had a block letter D of some kind as the logo.

Last edited by Face (5/15/2019 1:33 pm)

5/15/2019 2:10 pm  #65

yak-rbc wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

I know a lot of you youngsters like change, but this is absurd. Not one quality recruit will come to this school because of the old D or this new one. I am so over this LeBron and Nike partnership and the thinking that this is how we are going to obtain our goals.

Actually recruits seem to love it. And we already know the LeBron relationship is a huge selling point for recruits soooo

Yeah not to pile on but that was an aggressive post. No one said the logo is going to go out on the court and make a game winning shot. What is a PROVEN FACT is that recruits put a heavy emphasis on things like uniforms, facilities, amenities, athlete living areas etc. (basically everything but the academics) when picking a school.

At 27 I feel far from knowing what is “cool” with the kids any more these days, so idk how they would perceive these jerseys. That being said, when a kid like the one that was being looked at by Virginia Tech is considering us as well, these are the type of things that COULD push him in our direction, as stupid as that may sound.

Wildwood you have to start at point a to get to point c. Point A is having the facilities, amenities, and even uniforms that appeal to kids and put us on par with big time, first class programs. Point B is using these assets to win key recruiting battles that could allow us to bring in kids we otherwise may not have had a chance with. After you get the talent, point C is winning. All the big time programs do and know this.

The biggest and best example is university of Oregon. Home school of Phil Knight, founder of Nike (ALL of the kids these days want to wear Nike by the way). Years ago they had an average football program, never even hear about their basketball program. What do they do? Build a 1 billion dollar athletic facility that is like one giant  batcheler pad (I’m serious) and introduce 164738173 different loud and bright Nike uniforms and even a super crazy basketball court. Where are they now? Perennially in the running and in the top 25 in football and perennially in the top 25 and a top 6 seed in the tourney in hoops. Lots of kids that went to Oregon said it was specifically for these reasons, and everyone started copying the model.

You clearly don’t understand what coaches ties to Lebron and Nike have already done for us with recruiting, this stuff makes a HUGE difference. Pretty sure those win totals are ticking up as we make these changes.

Any thoughts Yak?

Last edited by Duques102 (5/15/2019 2:28 pm)

5/15/2019 2:32 pm  #66

Duques102 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

Yeah not to pile on but that was an aggressive post. No one said the logo is going to go out on the court and make a game winning shot. What is a PROVEN FACT is that recruits put a heavy emphasis on things like uniforms, facilities, amenities, athlete living areas etc. (basically everything but the academics) when picking a school.

At 27 I feel far from knowing what is “cool” with the kids any more these days, so idk how they would perceive these jerseys. That being said, when a kid like the one that was being looked at by Virginia Tech is considering us as well, these are the type of things that COULD push him in our direction, as stupid as that may sound.

Wildwood you have to start at point a to get to point c. Point A is having the facilities, amenities, and even uniforms that appeal to kids and put us on par with big time, first class programs. Point B is using these assets to win key recruiting battles that could allow us to bring in kids we otherwise may not have had a chance with. After you get the talent, point C is winning. All the big time programs do and know this.

The biggest and best example is university of Oregon. Home school of Phil Knight, founder of Nike (ALL of the kids these days want to wear Nike by the way). Years ago they had an average football program, never even hear about their basketball program. What do they do? Build a 1 billion dollar athletic facility that is like one giant  batcheler pad (I’m serious) and introduce 164738173 different loud and bright Nike uniforms and even a super crazy basketball court. Where are they now? Perennially in the running and in the top 25 in football and perennially in the top 25 and a top 6 seed in the tourney in hoops. Lots of kids that went to Oregon said it was specifically for these reasons, and everyone started copying the model.

You clearly don’t understand what coaches ties to Lebron and Nike have already done for us with recruiting, this stuff makes a HUGE difference. Pretty sure those win totals are ticking up as we make these changes.

Any thoughts Yak?

I'm 34. Am I no longer cool?

5/15/2019 2:35 pm  #67

Simms wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

Any thoughts Yak?

You very well may be. That was meant as more of statement that I myself admittedly am no longer hip to the most current trends out there as it relates to how kids dress/what they like.

Last edited by Duques102 (5/15/2019 2:36 pm)

5/15/2019 2:42 pm  #68

Duques102 wrote:

Simms wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

The biggest and best example is university of Oregon. Home school of Phil Knight, founder of Nike (ALL of the kids these days want to wear Nike by the way). Years ago they had an average football program, never even hear about their basketball program. What do they do? Build a 1 billion dollar athletic facility that is like one giant batcheler pad (I’m serious) and introduce 164738173 different loud and bright Nike uniforms and even a super crazy basketball court. Where are they now? Perennially in the running and in the top 25 in football and perennially in the top 25 and a top 6 seed in the tourney in hoops. Lots of kids that went to Oregon said it was specifically for these reasons, and everyone started copying the model.

Any thoughts Yak?

You very well may be. That was meant as more of statement that I myself admittedly am no longer hip to the most current trends out there as it relates to how kids dress/what they like.

Yells to wife:

"Whitney am I cool?"
Whitney: "No."  

Also, I would check out this link.  I think it does a nice job of explaining the rebrand.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/FiMahSptQosjr/

5/15/2019 3:11 pm  #69

Simms wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

The biggest and best example is university of Oregon. Home school of Phil Knight, founder of Nike (ALL of the kids these days want to wear Nike by the way). Years ago they had an average football program, never even hear about their basketball program. What do they do? Build a 1 billion dollar athletic facility that is like one giant batcheler pad (I’m serious) and introduce 164738173 different loud and bright Nike uniforms and even a super crazy basketball court. Where are they now? Perennially in the running and in the top 25 in football and perennially in the top 25 and a top 6 seed in the tourney in hoops. Lots of kids that went to Oregon said it was specifically for these reasons, and everyone started copying the model.

Any thoughts Yak?

You're at the age where teens start to call you Mister. You're not as uncool as us ancients are, but to teens, you are now an "old head", and you become less cool by the day.

5/15/2019 3:23 pm  #70

Simms wrote:

Yells to wife:

"Whitney am I cool?"
Whitney: "No."  

Also, I would check out this link.  I think it does a nice job of explaining the rebrand.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/FiMahSptQosjr/

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I don't wanna tear anyone down that is skeptical of the logo. At my first glance, I thought it was real bad. But I saw it on some of the uniforms and it really popped.

It's gonna be hit or miss. I think Athletics should be extremely careful how they display it on everything. There's going to be a very fine line from when it looks b@d@$$ and when it'll look terrible and it's not going to please everyone, most notably I've noticed was AJ Hines. Just be open to it and when you see it in real life, youll learn to appreciate it I think.

And don't worry: Duquesne isn't changing the statue; they aren't changing the ring; they aren't changing the school logo; and you'll still be able to buy merch with the Gothic D on it

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/15/2019 3:47 pm  #71

#Duquesne is trending #1 among Twitter in Pittsburgh.

Further evidence that this is a good thing. People are talking about it, including a lot of local sportswriters.

Again, the rebrand was necessary, and in the humble opinion of someone who has helped drive brand recognition for global corporations (some of the biggest in the world), I see it as all good.

Now if we could re-tool some of our fan base, we'd be in a real good place.

5/15/2019 4:02 pm  #72

I think it is okay, and will probably grow on me. The branding book made me laugh, because they all have the same story about everyone wanting to be revolutionary, every time. They all end up mostly of their time, though.

Once they explained it was to be a stylized flame, it made more sense. 

The football helmets look pretty cool, and the basketball uniforms are okay, aside from the navy blue ones, i am not a fan of the chunky blocks on the leg. All in all, I get what they are going for, and it is mostly working.

5/15/2019 4:02 pm  #73

I dig it. And I like the uni that’s mostly red/blue but with the electric accents.  This is bold stuff. It is fantastic.

I can’t wait to update my apparel .

5/15/2019 4:12 pm  #74

Any link to buy new gear?

5/15/2019 4:12 pm  #75

Face wrote:

I will say this, while I do enjoy the current logo, the fact that the design company is very one-note with a lot of their graphics means that this logo lacks identity to me.

Rickabaugh Designs is the company in question. They have done a ton of college logos (including our current) that all look very similar. Look at:

RMU
Providence
Louisville
Abeline Christian
VCU
UCF
Northern Michigan
UMass
North Florida

... and plenty more. They’re all very clearly cut from the same cloth and it really feels mailed in. Font choices, borders, positioning of the mascot, it’s all very similar.

Give me something exciting and interesting that feels like it is of the university and I am on board. If they really use a lion I love how it’s plucked right from the seal and our ubiquitous (yet distinct) red rings.

I have been saying the exact same thing on Twitter the last few days.   Even naming the same schools.   

The tenants of a great logo are two fold.
1. Unique and distinctive.   You have that. 
2. Easily doodled.  - So young fans like kids can easily draw.   Think of the great logos.  Hartford Whalers, NYY, LA Dodgers. (interlocking LA) - easily doodled.  You have this. 

The gothic D or the stylized Gothic D are not recognized by the casual fan without the words Duquesne written under it.   It’s is easily confused with Duke or the Detroit Tigers.   This after people give it a chance doesn’t need Duquesne written under it.   It’s unique to Duquesne. 

Rebranding is not aimed at people that know the brand.  It would at aimed at getting more people to recognize the brand.   

And everyone wanted a marketing department that try new things.   You have that.  Give it a chance.   Dayton fans screamed at their logo change.  And now that simple logo says Dayton.

The school logo isn’t changing.  The rings aren’t changing.  Just the athletic department logo.   I embrace the change.

Last edited by A83 (5/15/2019 4:22 pm)

Board footera