Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2020 3:19 pm  #26

Re: No City Game this Year

1111 Vickroy wrote:

So if i understand, Shitt can play Bobby mo but not the Dukes?

Capel didn't want to play Bobby Mo, that was forced on him by the folks running Pitt. I would bet that the Pitt big shots have told him he can't kill the series, but allowed him to have his way this coming year.  I'd respect Capel more if he had just said, "we're going to be working in a bunch of new players this year. The ACC schedule is tough, and I really don't want to overload the ooc this year. Duquesne's a very solid team, and with the ACC-B10 challenge, and a holiday tourney we're working on, it doesn't leave us many games to experiment, and get these new guys up to speed. I don't want to overload them with a bunch of tough games early. Next year we'll be ready to handle more tough games early". A statement like that would have still pissed me off, but I can respect honesty, and that he's protecting his arse. This is the real reason, don't feed us any BS. KD is protecting his arse as well with his RMU stance. I understand his not wanting to go out there. We actually should never have agreed to a straight home and home with them. 2 for 1 might have been appropriate. However, we did agree to a 1-1 deal, and to their credit, they stepped up and beat our tails. I don't blame them for not wanting to play only at the Coop. If that's the issue, play the game at PPG every year. It won't draw as well as the game with Pitt, but it could still develop into something pretty nice. Would be great if they could get out of the NEC, and into a better league like the MAAC, AE, or CAA. Would add some stature to their program.

Last edited by duq81 (5/15/2020 3:20 pm)

5/15/2020 3:45 pm  #27

I would make no commitment to play them if they won’t play us this year.  Picking and choosing which Dukes team they want to play is not an option.

5/15/2020 4:47 pm  #28

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Just read an ESPN article and the AD at Shitt is saying they are going to play the Dukes in 21-22 at Petersen. That's a bit of a shame as the 2020 Dukes would probably have a better shot at whuppin their can.

So just looking at behavior, is this a prelude to expecting to play only at Petersen in the future? If so, we shouldn't bother with a one-game contract. I can understand not wanting to play at the Coop, but not at PPG Paints. Some P-5 schools, at least in football, are notorious for reneging on home-and-home contracts with teams that might beat them. They pay an indemnity and replace the opponent with an FBS cupcake or FCS team at home. Admitting Pitt could do the same to us in basketball, at least we get some cash and they get embarrassment. And if they did that one time after this incident, I would call that a pattern and forget them after that. We have been down, but we don't deserve that treatment.

Finally, I agree we should play Robert Morris again and at PPG Paints to resolve any home-and-home impasse. 

Last edited by scduke (5/15/2020 6:51 pm)

5/15/2020 5:15 pm  #29

Levon you are spot on!  Pitt doesn't want to play us this year with the experienced talent level we have - MHughes and Marcus.  I don't think there is any way, even with their talented freshman big, they could handle Mike or Marcus inside, plus we have more depth and shooting at the wing and 2 guard.  These Coaches and administrators sometimes think they should just dance around the issue with excuses instead of just telling the truth.  This is why I 100% agree with Duq81's perspective.  If Capel just admitted the true rationale I may not like it, but it is understandable and I would accept that explanation.  This is why I find KD so refreshing, he admitted he didn't want to play Bobby Mo when his transfer player was there.  Now I don't necessarily agree with that, but it was forthright and classy to just say that - which he did on the FAN this morning. Further, I hope Harper doesn't agree to play them the following year at the Pete.  Either play us at PPG and we split everything or stick it.  We shouldn't stoop to their level by agreeing to a 2 year series and then reneging.!!!

5/15/2020 5:26 pm  #30

I am following this story & enjoying the different points of view. I am quite impressed with the way Harper/KD are turning this situation to their advantage.

I am totally impressed with the new optimism among so many long-time posters. However, I just can't get past my anxiety concerning which players are leaving. 

Please, just rip off the band-aid. I am dying to know who is staying.

5/15/2020 6:38 pm  #31

Embarrassing on Pitt's end. Capel can lie and say he's not afraid of anybody as much as he wants but any true Pittsburgh sports fan should be able to see right through him. But yeah I agree, we also need to play RMU.

5/15/2020 8:57 pm  #32

5/16/2020 12:15 am  #33

I wish we would play rmu on yearly basis. I feel they despise us like the way most dukes fans feel about Pitt. Does anybody know if we stopped due to the losing streak. Saw someone mentioned kd has a transfer there.

5/16/2020 11:17 am  #35

phil95 wrote:

I am following this story & enjoying the different points of view. I am quite impressed with the way Harper/KD are turning this situation to their advantage.

I am totally impressed with the new optimism among so many long-time posters. However, I just can't get past my anxiety concerning which players are leaving. 

Please, just rip off the band-aid. I am dying to know who is staying.

phil95, reading between the lines, this Dave Harper quote from the Alan Saunders PSN scheduling article gives me hope that the core remains intact. “Winning elevates your profile,” Harper said. “Our NET numbers don’t lie. We were a top 100 NET team last year. We’re trending with all five starters coming back and our projected NET, we’re a heck of a non-conference game for somebody."

5/16/2020 2:26 pm  #36

5/16/2020 4:45 pm  #37

Tejas_Duke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

If I am Harper, I never agree to play them again, even if they come at us hat in hand, down on one knee ,begging.    Bye bye.    Capel has to be afraid.   He must have learned a lesson at Duke, losing to some small school, didnt Davidson beat them one time, with a Curry?

Pitt is in the ACC. They are NEVER in a million years going to be on their knees begging us to play them!

Lighten up, Francis.

5/16/2020 5:56 pm  #38

it is interesting why PItt reneged on their promise to play DU this season.
Pitt and DU don't recruit the same players; losing to DU, a top 100 NET
team would be a better loss than to NIcholls State and DU was very accommodating
in making the game possible.
Villanova plays St Joe, Penn, Lasalle and Temple every year as part of the Big Five.
Villanvova, past national champs and a member of the Big East, find a spot to play those teams in their non conf schedule.
I guess we will never know the truth.

5/16/2020 7:52 pm  #39

I think zeise also said Pitt would beat the Dukes 9 out of 10 times as presently composed

5/17/2020 9:35 am  #40

5/18/2020 11:38 am  #41

Zeise tries to hide it, but he is a pitt homer.   His kid played LB there, he rarely says a bad word about pitt, but PSU and WVU....they're junk and always wrong.   
Whatever their reason, pitt is taking a hit in the yinzer community.   Even pitt grads think its a bad move.

5/18/2020 12:17 pm  #42

townsonkid wrote:

Zeise tries to hide it, but he is a pitt homer.   His kid played LB there, he rarely says a bad word about pitt, but PSU and WVU....they're junk and always wrong.   
Whatever their reason, pitt is taking a hit in the yinzer community.   Even pitt grads think its a bad move.

The more we win, the worse they'll look. If we don't live up to the hype, then it will be "Duquesne sucks, no one misses beating them".

5/20/2020 6:50 am  #43

Interesting tidbit on the DK Pittsburgh Sports site (BTW, they announced that the will be once again covering Duquesne basketball when the season kicks off). Hmmm....

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/05/20/twenty-ways-2020-can-be-fun-steelers-penguins-pirates-dk/

DKPittsburghSports wrote:

15. Pitt-Duquesne exposed.
Heck, I might make this one happen myself. Because from what I’ve heard, this odd rift between Pitt and Duquesne that’s led to the cancellation of the City Game two years in a row now is emanating from a level far above both athletic directors.

To be clear: It’s a terrible look for Pitt, principally. To pretend the game doesn’t matter in local basketball is embarrassing enough, but to withdraw from a verbal, public commitment to renew the rivalry in 2020 reeks of a lack of professionalism. This is as one-sided as it gets on that front alone.

But …

I’ve been told in the past week that it’s bigger presences at both institutions, from influential donors at Pitt who can’t stomach the idea of being second anything to another program in town even for a day, to one or two obstinate figures way high up in Old Main, Duquesne’s actual school administration. And the mix between those has been toxic.

This explains a lot, by the way. Jeff Capel wouldn’t duck anything, and I haven’t sensed that from Heather Lyke, either. Someone else is doing this and, to repeat, it’s a terrible look for Pitt regardless of what they don’t like about Duquesne.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (5/20/2020 6:51 am)

5/20/2020 9:40 am  #44

it was one of the talking heads on kdka said maybe Capel feels Pitt shouldnt have to play DU at PPG.   Would Duke ever play Davidson in Greensboro.   Made no sense.   Esp considering DU was willing to play at pitt.    
But Harper shouldnt let himself become Charlie Brown and heather lyke be Lucy and pull the football away every time.    Move on.   Start working on Ohio St, Penn St(wasnt a great turnout last time), WVU, Maryland, ND, Indiana, Nova, UVa.    And the game will be at PPG and they can have plenty of their own fans come to the Burgh.

5/20/2020 12:13 pm  #45

Some history here and background on this rivalry for those of that might not be aware.  https://triblive.com/sports/controversy-intensity-sharp-elbows-marked-previous-chapters-of-pitt-duquesne-rivalry/

5/20/2020 1:26 pm  #46

I think the article is slanted towards Pitt n Smizik really makes a dismissive comment about the Dukes

5/20/2020 1:28 pm  #47

" it's not like Duquesne has much of a chance of beating Pitt"... he was always a Pitt guy and so was Bill Hillgrove although he got a degree from Duquesne I believe

5/20/2020 3:22 pm  #48

townsonkid wrote:

it was one of the talking heads on kdka said maybe Capel feels Pitt shouldnt have to play DU at PPG.   Would Duke ever play Davidson in Greensboro.   Made no sense.   Esp considering DU was willing to play at pitt.    
But Harper shouldnt let himself become Charlie Brown and heather lyke be Lucy and pull the football away every time.    Move on.   Start working on Ohio St, Penn St(wasnt a great turnout last time), WVU, Maryland, ND, Indiana, Nova, UVa.    And the game will be at PPG and they can have plenty of their own fans come to the Burgh.

LOL! We'd be lucky to get a game AT one of those schools you mentioned. Schools don't schedule games that don't do anything to help them, especially on the road, where they might lose. Maybe if we turn into an eastern Gonzaga, we might get a name school or two to come here.

5/20/2020 6:28 pm  #49

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

LOL! We'd be lucky to get a game AT one of those schools you mentioned. Schools don't schedule games that don't do anything to help them, especially on the road, where they might lose. Maybe if we turn into an eastern Gonzaga, we might get a name school or two to come here.

Sad but true. In the early '70s, scuttlebutt was that Notre Dame came to play us because it wanted to impress local recruits. Now it's about bolstering the NET ranking-->NCAA tournament-->$$$ or big national TV game-->$$$. (Notice the pattern?) The money is now too big to ignore.
There are a few exceptions, mainly based on old traditions--essentially already mentioned in this thread (e. g., Philadelphia Big 5, Cincinnati-Xavier). Tradition is our argument with Pitt, but their attitude is that they don't need us unless we play in their place because they're in the Big, Bad ACC and trying to act like their bluebloods. 

5/20/2020 7:15 pm  #50

townsonkid wrote:

I agree 1,000% (not a typo). I am sick of having spitt dictate to us and will be very upset if we allow them to do so again. To hell with q(u)itt, and they can shove their 2021 breadcrumb offer to play them-- but only on their terms (petersdumb only). Our schedule should read: #hitt, who?

Board footera