Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2021 3:53 pm  #1

4/15/2021 4:24 pm  #2

Re: Williams, Gunn & Ayers Sign

Thanks for the updates CLK. Excited about these three and as Dambrot said "Gunn is a real sleeper". Watching him on film he looks like he's ready to prove some things. Ayers and Williams have already established themselves as solid D-1 players.

4/15/2021 6:25 pm  #3

Please forgive the redundancy of this question.

Are these the correct amounts eligibility for these three players:
Ayers-2 years
Gunn-1 year
Williams-3 years

4/15/2021 10:16 pm  #4

Phil, good question, I am wondering myself.

4/16/2021 8:25 am  #5

phil95 wrote:

Ayers-2 years
Gunn-1 year
Williams-3 years

That would be correct given the current rules in place.

4/16/2021 10:10 am  #6

ghost wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Ayers-2 years
Gunn-1 year
Williams-3 years

That would be correct given the current rules in place.

Thanks Ghost

4/18/2021 9:09 pm  #7

J R Gunn was a starting guard at Lenoir-Rhyne. His comfort zone has been more at the perimeter than the interior. He will not be the inside presence that his size would suggest.
The addition, or not, of a true big center will be the pivot-point to next year's season.

4/19/2021 6:30 am  #8

Hoping for a big as well. Don't believe that anyone would disagree that another big would top off the recruiting class and add an important piece. Whether it's Ty Groce or another whom we've never heard of won't matter. Of course, quality bigs are becoming scarcer in the portal as time goes by. Hope that we hear something soon. Could drag on though since it appears that there is no immediate deadline for transfers to declare.

4/19/2021 8:08 am  #9

Pathfinder wrote:

J R Gunn was a starting guard at Lenoir-Rhyne. His comfort zone has been more at the perimeter than the interior. He will not be the inside presence that his size would suggest.
The addition, or not, of a true big center will be the pivot-point to next year's season.

Welcome to the Board.  After watching a couple of Lenoir-Rhyne full game videos I absolutely agree with you on Gunn.  He looks like he would be best suited as a small forward.  He has an an unorthodox jump shot that is devastating and nearly impossible to stop.  However, did not see much post up play or rebounding.  Does not mean KD can't try to convert him, but that would not be playing to his strengths.  

The Dukes need another big strong strong rebounder.  I wonder what happened to Titus Wright? He would fit the bill as well as Ty Groce. 

EJ Brown on Twitter: "#Available 6’9 235 Titus Wright (GA) season highlights ... 3 years remaining! @tight_wright22 https://t.co/AWb3WxRQEE" / Twitter

4/19/2021 10:08 am  #10

I'd love to see the Dukes add Wright CLK.

4/19/2021 11:22 am  #11

CLK wrote:

Pathfinder wrote:

Welcome to the Board.  After watching a couple of Lenoir-Rhyne full game videos I absolutely agree with you on Gunn.  He looks like he would be best suited as a small forward.  He has an an unorthodox jump shot that is devastating and nearly impossible to stop.  However, did not see much post up play or rebounding.  Does not mean KD can't try to convert him, but that would not be playing to his strengths.  

The Dukes need another big strong strong rebounder.  I wonder what happened to Titus Wright? He would fit the bill as well as Ty Groce. 

EJ Brown on Twitter: "#Available 6’9 235 Titus Wright (GA) season highlights ... 3 years remaining! @tight_wright22 https://t.co/AWb3WxRQEE" / Twitter

After watching full games, how do you think Gunn will fair against A-10 competition?

4/19/2021 12:42 pm  #12

That is a good question Phil. I guess it depends on how KD uses him. From what I saw his biggest asset is his jump shot. He can drive, stop and shoot very effectively. He has this fall back jumper that he shoots sideways as he kicks his leg out which makes it almost impossible to block. One announcer said "you know what's coming but you can't stop it".  If KD is using him to stretch the floor he can certainly open things up as teams definitely have to guard him. We struggled with offensive rebounding last season, howeve, and not sure how this will help with that. I do think he would be be very effective as a SF. We could play him at the SF, move Williams to the four, and bring in another big and be very formidable in the league.

4/19/2021 7:39 pm  #13

=16pxThanks, CLK.

=16pxI don't know how anybody else sees it but, I am thoroughly confused as to what the rotation of 2s, 3s, & small-ball 4s would look like if today's version of the roster turns out to be the opening night roster. Baker, Okani, Gunn, Maceo, Barba, & Ayers all look like they are worthy of minutes at the 2 or 3. Primo, TDM, Jett, & Acuff to varying degrees, add to the 2-guard logjam while Harris & Williams, as the only known-entity big men will give up some minutes the gents mentioned above when a quicker, more mobile, & better shooting PF is called for.  With what now seems to be quite the stable of better shooting/bigger wings, =16pxsome combination of =16pxTDM, Primo, & Acuff would have to see at least some time at the point with JJ in order to remain engaged. 

=16pxThese observations & the continued overage in scholarship inventory lead me to a conclusion that some of our more roster savvy posters saw coming weeks ago. There are 3-4 scholarship players that will still have to go in order to remain in NCAA compliance & achieve viable positional balance on the roster. I find this frustrating because =16pxBaker, Okani, Maceo, Hima, Barba, Acuff, Harris, & Jett, are all players that  I see as having the high upside strengthened by their multiple seasons of remaining eligibility. There just are just not nearly enough minutes to go around for talented players with expectations of playing heavy minutes.  Not to mention, this situation makes the departure of Rotroff & Bekelja almost inevitable.

(Maybe KD & staff already know that Barba's recent injury/surgery makes him an automatic medical redshirt creating one less playing time demand to be met.)

In some ways, I am encouraged by these developments in that this must be what richer in talent programs work through every offseason. Although, I recall feeling similarly at this time last year when we all thought that 7 of the team's top 8 were returning, there were a couple of quality recruits were already committed, Kelly would be fully rehabbed, The Coop would open, & the programwas coming off a 21-9/11-7 season.  

4/19/2021 7:52 pm  #14

Pretty sure Gunn said somewhere that Coach was recruiting him as a stretch 4. Seems like he would be a tough match up for some of slower footed 4's he will play against.

4/19/2021 8:31 pm  #15

Phil as you may recall last season we started with 15 players not counting know walk-ons. The only explanation for this was two players we thought were on athletic scholarship were actually  paying their own way.

I believe that is still the case and as we stand right now we are at the 13 athletic scholarship limit. The scholarship math was discussed in another thread. Any new player at this point would require someone who is on athletic scholarship to leave.

There is going to be a lot of competition for playing time next season, no question about that.

I know that there are many combinations and different opinions. If I was going to guess  the first 10 by position as it stands right now it would be;

PG: TDM Johnson
SG: Baker Spears
SF: Ayers Okani
PF: Gunn Harris
C: Williams (Hima or Rotroff)

I have no doubt this most likely will all change. Still so many unknowns at this point.

4/19/2021 8:47 pm  #16

CLK I actually would see Johnson and Spears battling it out for starting PG, and if need be you could throw Acuff some minutes there as well as he now has a season under his belt.  I just don't see TDM at the PG this year unless it is an emergency as he is better suited in a Vinny Johnson role off the bench as a shooting guard.  You could see Primo play the SG a bit as well, but don't forget about the kid from Mercer too.  Lots of guys, lots of options, but there inevitably has to be some roster movement - especially if we get another big - Groce or someone else.  Even if 2 guys are paying their own way, players want to play and I really don't think KD wants to go past a 9 man rotation when you get 6 or 8 games into the season.  

4/19/2021 9:03 pm  #17

Your 10 makes as much sense as any. The problem is that it does a pretty good job of burying Acuff & Maceo while putting Okani & Harris further down the depth chart than they are likely to be content with. I think that guarantees promising players will be moving on.

In other news, I have begun practicing meditation to control my angst in the event that TDM is the starting PG at the beginning of the conference season.

4/20/2021 6:47 am  #18

I got the impression that KD would like both Spears and Johnson on the court together at times. Think I saw something to that effect somewhere on this board. That would be interesting to see. Two facilitators in the backcourt.  Johnson seems to have the skill set of a 2 guard as well as that of a PG so that could work. Just so many possibilities in terms of mixing and matching players based on the other teams' lineups. Let's get Groce signed up and I believe we will stack up pretty well with any team in the A-10.

4/20/2021 8:26 am  #19

Try not to think traditionally in terms of positions; I.e. point guard, two-guard, swing-man, Power forward, Center.  The trend is toward position less basketball affording coaches the opportunity to play many different combinations.  The important thing is to have versatility on defense; so you can readily switch and guard anyone on the opposition without creating very bad matchups.  That’s why guys like Ayers, Baker, Okani and Acuff are so valuable in today’s game.  They can guard up or down in terms of size matchups.

4/20/2021 9:20 am  #20

phil95 wrote:

Your 10 makes as much sense as any. The problem is that it does a pretty good job of burying Acuff & Maceo while putting Okani & Harris further down the depth chart than they are likely to be content with. I think that guarantees promising players will be moving on.

This is a different world today.  The portal has changed the game.  There is no longer a stigma attached with losing players.  Look at St. Bonaventure they lost 9 players so far to the portal.  It will be up to the players to compete and earn minutes.  I have no doubt that the players you mentioned have the ability to compete and earn substantial minutes, but coaches can no longer just play kids because they are unhappy.    

4/20/2021 1:15 pm  #21

CLK wrote:

phil95 wrote:

This is a different world today.  The portal has changed the game.  There is no longer a stigma attached with losing players.  Look at St. Bonaventure they lost 9 players so far to the portal.  It will be up to the players to compete and earn minutes.  I have no doubt that the players you mentioned have the ability to compete and earn substantial minutes, but coaches can no longer just play kids because they are unhappy.    

It has changed so dramatically over the past 5 years or so.  I think the idea of recruiting a kid and watching him progress over 4 years is over.  It may happen from time to time but that will be the rare exception.  It is all about plugging and playing kids from the portal every year.  If you are recruited out of high school and do not make an immediate impact you will likely be recruited over or replaced by someone in the portal.  

Take for example Dre Harris.  Arent we still really high on this kid?  I am.  He was a big-time recruit and he looked good in limited action last season.  But he wasn't Chad Baker good so we already have him behind guys we haven't seen in a Dukes uniform on the depth chart.  And maybe that is the correct assessment.  But 5 years ago we would have been talking like, "now Marcus is gone it's time for Dre to take over." 

4/20/2021 6:20 pm  #22

levon1975 wrote:

Try not to think traditionally in terms of positions; I.e. point guard, two-guard, swing-man, Power forward, Center. The trend is toward position less basketball affording coaches the opportunity to play many different combinations. The important thing is to have versatility on defense; so you can readily switch and guard anyone on the opposition without creating very bad matchups. That’s why guys like Ayers, Baker, Okani and Acuff are so valuable in today’s game. They can guard up or down in terms of size matchups.

Reminds me of John Chaney's Temple teams. A PG, a post player, and a bunch of athletic 6-6 guys who played maddening defense.

5/04/2021 6:54 pm  #23

A kid from Fairmont State just signed with Baylor. Now I'm a little more interested in what Gunn's going to bring.

5/04/2021 8:42 pm  #24

WashPaRick wrote:

A kid from Fairmont State just signed with Baylor. Now I'm a little more interested in what Gunn's going to bring.

Good point. The real sleeper of this class according to Dambrot.

5/04/2021 8:45 pm  #25

Baylor also signed a 2017 D-II recruit Freddie Gillespie a few years back. He went to Carleston College I believe and was eventually a 2nd team BIG 12 selection.

Board footera