Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2023 11:25 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis University Billikens

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Ray, after checking the stats like you asked, this is what I have found. According to the +/-, Brewer had a -13 and Rozier had a +7.

More interesting numbers for the rest of us. While it felt like they killed us in transition, they had 17 fast break points to our 16. It wasn’t even the second chance points that really killed us. They had 20 to our 11.

Hard not to love the fight from our Dukes. We dared Jimerson to beat us on the dribble and he was up for the challenge. Also, some of their other guys (Hughes and Pickett) made some big time shots that normally don’t. SLU have to feel like they got away with one tonight.

Jimerson should never beat you on the dribble, unless you are flat footed. Give me a source for those stats please as the eye test showed different. St. Louis had 30 layups tonight. No team wins with that defenseless effort. The only reason the Dukes stuck around was because of their 3 point shooting which won't get any better than that, but they still lost. 90 points allowed against USL? Really? When was the last time USL scored that many in an A-10 game? I don't fault the players and effort I fault the system and substitution patterns. Should have pressed early and often when up by double figures. Played right into their hands. Like I told my wife Diane, Dambrot is keeping USL around by not pressing. She agreed. Not rocket science. When it was a fifteen point game and they went into their halfcourt offense I said to Diane it will be a one point game by half. Was a point off. Hope i'm wrong, but this guy will ever take this program to an NIT bid let alone an NCAA bid. I do believe Joyce would be a great replacement though. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/earlaustinjr/status/1627146665864953856

Thank you didn't realize Rozier was in the plus by the eye test and Brewer and all the starters in the negative. Rozier, Rotroff, and McGriff need more minutes obviously, and Williams and Reece were brutal tonight. Biggest needs are big men next year.

2/19/2023 6:20 am  #52

And I thought after Ritter's Diner was gone, we only had conjoined twins posting. I was wrong. We have the first ever conjoined triplets commenting on our team and coach. Orate pro nobis!

2/19/2023 7:28 am  #53

grammudder wrote:

And I thought after Ritter's Diner was gone, we only had conjoined twins posting. I was wrong. We have the first ever conjoined triplets commenting on our team and coach. Orate pro nobis!

How about an intellectual rebuttal instead making comments like an immature child. Didn’t you use this line a few days ago and got I believe one laugh. Keep trying you may get two this time because your so funny and original.

2/19/2023 7:56 am  #54

Styles1229 wrote:

I think we win this one but I'm not going to overreact to a loss.  On the road against a top 4 team is no easy business.  

I'm not an X's and O's guy - I don't understand them deeply enough.  I mean I know a pick and roll when I see one and kicking it out when they double the post but when they start talking about "doubling the ball screen" and "switching" and a host of other things I get lost.  All that to say, SLU clearly watched what was working defensively for the Dukes over the past 5 or 6 games and decided to attack us differently.  Our guys seemed just as active and energetic as in games past on the defensive end - they just kept giving up baskets.  I don't know what SLU was doing (I don't understand the X's and O's deeply enough) but it was frustrating.  A road loss to a top team in the conference is by no means a disaster.  Hopefully the coaches figure out what SLU was doing to score so effectively against us and coach the boys up to defend it.  It's on tape now.  So maybe this ends up being a good loss - would hate to see this happen in the tourney and the Dukes have no answer for it.

2/19/2023 8:18 am  #55

Styles1229 wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

I think we win this one but I'm not going to overreact to a loss.  On the road against a top 4 team is no easy business.

I'm not an X's and O's guy - I don't understand them deeply enough.  I mean I know a pick and roll when I see one and kicking it out when they double the post but when they start talking about "doubling the ball screen" and "switching" and a host of other things I get lost.  All that to say, SLU clearly watched what was working defensively for the Dukes over the past 5 or 6 games and decided to attack us differently.  Our guys seemed just as active and energetic as in games past on the defensive end - they just kept giving up baskets.  I don't know what SLU was doing (I don't understand the X's and O's deeply enough) but it was frustrating.  A road loss to a top team in the conference is by no means a disaster.  Hopefully the coaches figure out what SLU was doing to score so effectively against us and coach the boys up to defend it.  It's on tape now.  So maybe this ends up being a good loss - would hate to see this happen in the tourney and the Dukes have no answer for it.

Right on.

The only real concern from last night for me is that the Dukes still need to work at playing with a substantial lead.

2/19/2023 8:24 am  #56

KD’s obstinance with regard to defense will cost this team any chance of winning the A-10. St.Louis went into the game 293 in 3pt scoring. He can never adjust out of his man to man. We offer NO different looks, other than minor adjustments on switching or playing ball screens we are predictable to a fault. The other persistent problem all year has been a lack of attention to “boxing out.” We are 14th in the league in allowing offensive rebounds. That should have been addressed a long time ago. I'm sick and tired of saying this over and over since I realize he will NEVER change ZONE!!!!!!!

One last point, someone please explain to me how Dae Dae doesn't get a shot in the second half until 10 minutes in. All year long we haven't done enough to get him open shots. Go back an look at film of Duke when they JJ Redick. They would run him off of double and triple screens. 

Last edited by The Dome (2/19/2023 8:34 am)

2/19/2023 9:21 am  #57

The Dukes played hard and were right in it to the end.  Who knows if we could have grabbed that deflection on the inbound pass.  I liked that we didn't fold when we were down double digits late. The Dukes need to regroup and take care of business as we control our own destiny.  There are a lot of interesting match ups and various combinations, but the best way is for the Dukes to win out.  This team needs to stay confident, believe in themselves and continue to play hard and good things will happen. The Dukes are a very good team, not just my words........

Bally Sports Midwest on Twitter: "Ford on the #Billikens erasing a 15-point deficit to beat Duquesne: "I told our team, 'If we can get this win, it's going to be one of our better wins.' It's a great win and how we got it makes it even better." https://t.co/aA03NHISZ2" / Twitter

2/19/2023 9:37 am  #58

Dambrot had the right game plan based upon SLU physicality. Dukes played very hard on the road. My concern was with Jimerson. He killed the Dukes. However, I thought he was a one trick pony.outside & 3 point shooter. Problem for the Dukes lack of size at the guard position. Mcgriff great length on defense, yet 11 minutes. Again , I suspect Dambrots game plan was offense rather then defense. Can’t disagree but down the stretch maybe Mcgriff could have been substituted for defense/offense. Against physical teams in the A10,Fordham,SLU, DAYTON & UMASS you need size at guard for more then 11 minutes. Big game in Philly against Lasalle come Wednesday. Go Dukes.

2/19/2023 10:09 am  #59

I have to agree with Dome on his points. Watching the opposing team just playing volleyball under our basket until they score is common in every game I've watched. We don't box out. Plus, throwing a zone in two or three times a game for two or three possessions would be a sound strategy.
Dae Dae and Jimmy are exhausted at the end of the game. Playing man-on-man then having to bust your tail to get a good shot will do that to you.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/19/2023 10:18 am  #60

KenOTR73 wrote:

I have to agree with Dome on his points. Watching the opposing team just playing volleyball under our basket until they score is common in every game I've watched. We don't box out. Plus, throwing a zone in two or three times a game for two or three possessions would be a sound strategy.
Dae Dae and Jimmy are exhausted at the end of the game. Playing man-on-man then having to bust your tail to get a good shot will do that to you.

Agree with this. Our biggest need player wise is a solid big as I've been saying all season. We do not have anything resembling this unless you count Barre and Dixon who are only freshman and admittedly need seasoning. Truly hope Barre will be able to resume his career, first and foremost for him. 
Grant looked totally gassed by the final 7 or 8 minutes. 
30 layups!?!? OMG! Hard to conceive of that.
Hope there's a fix for it but not certain that there is. Total domination at the rim.

2/19/2023 10:36 am  #61

We probably weren't going to win out.  So if we "were" going to lose, it would be somehow someway.
I want to see if we win the next game.  That will be the challenge.  We haven't had that many lay ups in that manner against us all year.  Now we have another strategy to work against.  Let's see what happens Wednesday.

2/19/2023 10:32 pm  #62

The most important game of this season is Wednesday night in Phillie. Just a good effort won't cut it. There is no chance of a moral victory! Win or the season is much less than it could have been. This is a MUST win for this team and for this season. No prediction here. That's why they play the game. We'll all find out the outcome together. Can the team put Saturday night in the rear view mirror and move on with what has to be done? LETS GO DUKES!

2/20/2023 10:31 am  #63

Not sure I understand all the outrage over losing at StL.   They are a good team, playing there, on a Saturday night is probably the 3rd most difficult game we had on the schedule.   Played a solid game and was in it down to the last minute.   
LaSalle game is huge for the double bye, then come home, hold court vs David's son and Umass, then play Fordham for what will likely be that double bye, its really not a lot to ask or expect.   Once in Brooklyn, its wide open, anyone can win it all, including us.   
Make March Meaningful.

2/20/2023 11:18 am  #64

I don’t know if a double bye is the best path for Duquesne.  For the majority of the last few years, Dambrots teams usually play poorly after a long time off. Not that they would get a “long” time not playing a game. If they get at least one bye that would be fine.   Coach, maybe try the following at times during the next few games …unscramble the letters…

Eozn

Go Dukes

2/20/2023 11:48 am  #65

townsonkid wrote:

Not sure I understand all the outrage over losing at StL.   They are a good team, playing there, on a Saturday night is probably the 3rd most difficult game we had on the schedule.   Played a solid game and was in it down to the last minute.   
LaSalle game is huge for the double bye, then come home, hold court vs David's son and Umass, then play Fordham for what will likely be that double bye, its really not a lot to ask or expect.   Once in Brooklyn, its wide open, anyone can win it all, including us.   
Make March Meaningful.

I watched the game again yesterday. It was closer than I thought the first time watching it live. Hind site is 20/20, but hitting 3's as well as we did in the first half, we got away from it just a bit in the second. Maybe good, or maybe a bad idea, but St.L. half time adjustment seemed to be to stretch the defense and drive to the hoop. I guess, KD wanted to take away their 3 pt shooting by guarding the perimeter, but gave up wider lanes to the hoop for it. St.L. capitalized on it. I like some folks here thinking a zone at times would be a better choice and I think it could have been more effective in that second half.  Still, inspite of that, it did come down to the closing minute with either team having a chance to win. Very close.

2/20/2023 11:55 am  #66

townsonkid wrote:

Make March Meaningful.

It would show a lot if the Dukes can win on the road Wed.  As for a double bye, good or not, it didn't work for RE as his 4th place team lost to St.Joe, one and done. And it could work better to play 2 games to lesser team before getting the top teams on that court.  Playing time like that can work in the Dukes favor with a deep bench. In any case, it's nice to see this team late in the season still relevant.  

2/20/2023 12:43 pm  #67

NapaDuke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Make March Meaningful.

It would show a lot if the Dukes can win on the road Wed.  As for a double bye, good or not, it didn't work for RE as his 4th place team lost to St.Joe, one and done. And it could work better to play 2 games to lesser team before getting the top teams on that court.  Playing time like that can work in the Dukes favor with a deep bench. In any case, it's nice to see this team late in the season still relevant.  

Can’t argue with anything you said here but still let’s go for the gold and let the chips fall! Still Wednesday game is huge!
Let's go Dukes

Last edited by Motor (2/20/2023 12:44 pm)

2/20/2023 12:50 pm  #68

townsonkid wrote:

Make March Meaningful.

I agree with everything you said except "not sure I understand all the outrage..."

I think the board is taking this one rather well.  

2/20/2023 12:55 pm  #69

NapaDuke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Make March Meaningful.

I was at the St Joe's game in Atlantic City.  Me and a few other alums used to make the annual trip there for the tournament.  We got away from it when they changed locations.  I wish they would go back.  That game was so frustrating as St Joe's upset somebody just to be in that game so it looked like a nice matchup for us.  I remember TJ with 2 late steals/buckets that almost won it for us.  

2/20/2023 1:07 pm  #70

There seemed to be some bashing going on after the game here.   Coaching, defense, etc, while the day before there was unlimited praise for those.   Regardless, I thought it was a good effort vs a good team in front of 7000 of their fans.   Tough place to play.   I'd like to see them in Brooklyn.

2/20/2023 2:03 pm  #71

townsonkid wrote:

There seemed to be some bashing going on after the game here.   Coaching, defense, etc, while the day before there was unlimited praise for those.   Regardless, I thought it was a good effort vs a good team in front of 7000 of their fans.   Tough place to play.   I'd like to see them in Brooklyn.

I would love to play the Billikens in Brooklyn! Would be a heck of a game just like this past Saturday, although hopefully with a better outcome.

2/20/2023 3:15 pm  #72

Wasn't expecting a win, even after jumping out to a 15-point first half lead. But I wonder if a college basketball team has ever outscored another college basketball team by 42 points (45-3) from 3-point range and still lost.

2/20/2023 3:40 pm  #73

DennisC91 wrote:

Wasn't expecting a win, even after jumping out to a 15-point first half lead. But I wonder if a college basketball team has ever outscored another college basketball team by 42 points (45-3) from 3-point range and still lost.

to that same point. - I wonder the last time a college basketball team scored 90 points and only made one 3 pointer.  It was probably before the 3 point shot was instituted

2/20/2023 3:56 pm  #74

NapaDuke wrote:

...As for a double bye, good or not, it didn't work for RE as his 4th place team lost to St.Joe, one and done. And it could work better to play 2 games to lesser team before getting the top teams on that court.  Playing time like that can work in the Dukes favor with a deep bench. In any case, it's nice to see this team late in the season still relevant.  

With the way the tournament is scheduled this year, I'm not sure the double-bye is as big an advantage as it has been in past years. It'll be an advantage on Day 3, when the top 4 play four teams that played the day before. But then everyone gets a day off on Day 4 (Friday) with the semifinals Saturday and finals Sunday. Not sure why the A10 chose to do it that way, but they did,

Day 1 (Tuesday, March 7): Bottom six seeds play off against each other (10 vs. 15, 11 vs. 14, 12 vs. 13)
Day 2 (Wednesday, March 8): 5, 6 and 7 seeds play the winners of Day 1 and 8 vs. 9.
Day 3 (Thursday, March 9): Quarterfinals: Seeds 1-4 play the winners of Day 2.
Day 4 (Friday, March 10): Practice/Media Day, no games
Day 5 (Saturday, March 11) Semifinals
Day 6 (Sunday, March 12) Finals

2/20/2023 4:37 pm  #75

DennisC91 wrote:

Thought that too. Plus we were 14-18 at the line vs. the Billikens 15-25. Almost inconceivable that a team could lose with those numbers.  THIRTY LAYUPS!!!!!

Board footera