Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2014 6:27 am  #1

Newest A-10 member

We have admitted a university that has produced 23 Rhodes Scholars: http://t.co/Zstku5dW9d. Can we now admit that we need to change the name of the conference? Atlantic 10 does not add up.

8/02/2014 3:00 pm  #2

Re: Newest A-10 member

The Atlantic 10 finally has a name people know.  Changing it now would be foolish IMO. 

With the constant change of conference affiliations, keeping the brand name is important.

Most people don't know what the American Athletic Conference is, yet alone who plays in it.

Last edited by duqkurt (8/02/2014 3:03 pm)

8/02/2014 3:42 pm  #3

Because I don't think there's that much brand equity in the name itself. Lots of people are equally hard-pressed to name the teams in the A-10.

8/03/2014 8:09 pm  #4

Call me when the Big 10 and Big 12 change theirs, or how about Notre Dame being in the Atlantic Coast Conference, or Mizzou in the Southeastern Conference. Colorado ain't exactly near the Pacific either.

8/04/2014 4:00 pm  #5

Sorry, I look at stuff that makes no sense and talk out loud sometimes.

I think there are re-branding opportunities for all of them. So far, the Big 10, which has gone to the "B1G" logo to identify itself, is the only one doing anything. I wouldn't worry about geographic discrepencies; I think these conferences are still sorting things out.

8/08/2014 1:40 am  #6

I'm not sure the Atlantic 10 has ever had more brand recognition than it does right now.  It would be a terrible decision IMO to change it now.  Of course, I know they won't as they just updated the logo.  http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=209535535
Plus, they made this video not too long ago,

http://whowantsnext.com/

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

8/08/2014 11:22 am  #7

Simms, you're right about a higher recognition profile, but there's a difference between visibility and brand equity. The A-10 lacks the latter. Last season was the first since I've been following the program - and I go back to our first year in the conference, which was my freshman season - when I thought we got "enough" teams in the NCAA Tournament. Compare that to the Big East. They got teams into the tournament with losing conference records, simply because they were the Big East (and had undue influence on the selection committee, which never hurts). Listen, I'm not going to influence a name change. I'd love to see it, but more than that, I'd love to see Duquesne win 20 games a year and influence the recognition of our own brand.

Board footera